Kylo's Story, Part - 15 Rey's Heritage

Green dust floats in the water all around me, fizzing as it slides off my skin. I'm at one of the monastery bathing houses near the bottom of the island, and I'm the only one here, thankfully. I don't know where Rey is, possibly packing, or maybe looking for me since I disappeared for a while. She'd said she had a gift for me, so I couldn't leave Ahch-To without preparing a gift for her.

I remembered the green light saber dust in the catacombs had small clumps of crystal in the cracks of the cave walls and on the ground in corners. I went back to get one, looking for the largest one I could find, to use in a ring for Rey. But the largest one cut my fingers. So I gathered a bunch of small ones instead and took them to the repair station to see if anyone there could embed them into duranium or some strong alloy to make a ring. Two Resistance mechanics were mulling about the repair station, with no family to visit. They seemed quite happy to be given a new project to work on.

I dunk down into the cold water, wondering if she'll like the ring. I don't even feel the cold. I'm too energized by the thought of being alone, truly alone, with Rey soon.

The lapping of the water around me is peaceful. Maybe this bath house was used as a spiritual cleansing place a long time ago. Either way it suits my purposes just fine. I smooth back my hair, which is now almost shoulder length when wet. It'll bounce back up in waves when it dries. I just hope all the glowing dust is completely out of it now. A sound startles me, because I'm undressed and would rather not be found that way.

Clean enough. It's time to get out of here. I get out of the water quickly then grab the towel I brought with me and wrap it around my waist. My clothes lie in a heap on the marble floor. Somehow I didn't think to bring a change of clothes with me.

"Kylo?..." It's Rey. Her voice echoes through the open space as she hurries over to me. "Ben... Sorry, I forget sometimes... to call you Ben." She's breathing hard from her run and holding a communications card in her hand, her cheeks flushed. "I was looking everywhere for you!" Her eyes travel down from my face to my chest and abdomen. "I had..." she starts. "I've got..." She holds up the comm card to show me.

"Yes?"

"BB-8..."

I tilt her chin up so she'll look at me. Her cheeks flush a bit more and she pulls away.

"BB-8, um, found this." She holds up the comm card again. "I mean, Master Dukath gave this to her, before he died."

I flinch. "Master Dukath? You saw him?"

"I..." Rey seems at a loss for words. "We... It's a long story but yes, we saw him briefly. He told me I would fall to the Dark side and, well... Apparently he gave BB-8 this message card to keep safe and give to me when I was 'with child', but she was too scared to leave it in her compartments so she hid it on the Millennium Falcon, and today she gave it to me."

I've stopped breathing. I don't know what to say. Rey's eyes grow wide and she shakes her head, "No, no Ben. BB-8 misunderstood what Master Dukath meant. She saw me playing with a child today and that's why she thought I was 'with child.'"

I start breathing again. "What does the comm card say?"

"I don't know yet. I wanted us to watch it together." Her glance trails down again. "Would you like me to bring you a change of clothes from your room first?" She asks.

"Please."

She nods and hurries away.

* * *

"Shouldn't we wait until Rey is actually with child, like Master Dukath wanted?" Mom says. We're gathered in Rey's room with BB-8, who has the communications card plugged in and ready to view.

Rey doesn't say anything. I put my hand on her shoulder, not sure what to tell her. It seems so fitting that Dukath would know of her. Somehow that warms my heart. Such a large Galaxy and in the end, we're all connected.

"Do you want me to play the message?" BB-8 asks.

"Yes," Rey says. "I want to hear it."

BB-8 projects a small holographic image onto the floor. It's Dukath. My chest tightens. It's been a long time since I've seen him and the memories come flooding back. He was the one that truly saved me from self-destruction.

"My dearest granddaughter Rey," he begins. Rey gasps. "Now you are with child and will soon find out that there are two male children in your womb."

I glance at Rey but can't tell what she's thinking. She sits perfectly still, her expression unreadable.

"One will be strong in the Light, the other, strong in the Dark side of the Force. But you must not despair. They will bring balance to the Galaxy, but not without great trials and tests of character. You are a princess, my granddaughter, descended from Royalty, a Kingdom now long forgotten but a bloodline no less powerful than a true Royal's. You will fulfill your destiny in your sons."

Dukath pauses and everyone in the room seems to be holding their breath. "Your parents were taken from you at an early age, but I hid you with an incantation so you would be unnoticed, overlooked, your true nature and power remaining unseen, except by those with a pure heart. But it will be this way no longer. Soon all will see your light. But first, many trials will you face, sorrows because of your sons. Take heart and remain strong. Believe in the Force and do not give in to the Dark Side. Go in peace my grandchild, and may the Force be with you."

The communication ends leaving the room in silence. Rey remains motionless.

Mom gets up and walks to the entrance way. She turns to me. "The guests will be leaving the day after tomorrow. I've cut their visit short because of the dream you told me about."

I nod.

"And," she continues. "I'd like you two to return by that time as well." She looks at Rey then back at me.

Take her Ben and fulfill your destiny, both of yours.

Then she leaves.