The Storm, Part 2 - The End of the Rey of Light

"I think I've given you enough time for your goodbyes."

It's Snoke, his voice crawling through the dark towards us.

Kylo pulls away from me and stands. I get up too, squinting into the darkness. A loud zap makes me jump and a red glow fills the corridor. Snoke's hooded, hunched over figure comes to light, his wrinkled face menacing beneath the red glow of Kylo's light saber.

"Finn..." I whisper. He was the last one holding that light saber.

"Rey? Finn?" It's Poe in my earpiece. "The battleship's gone dark, lost power. What's going on in there?"

I clench my teeth but don't respond. Kylo shifts his weight on his feet. I keep my eyes on Snoke. He can't read my thoughts. I don't know why, but he can't.

"I'm coming in!" Poe says and I tense."Should I leave BB-8?"

I reach up to my earpiece. Snoke's eyes turn to me and I lower my hand.

"Supreme Leader," Kylo says. "FN2187 and the pilot are here."

"Bring them to me," Snoke scowls. "And the droid as well." 

The sound of Kylo's boots crunching over glass as he walks away pierces my heart.

Kylo... I try to reach for him, but he's gone.

I click on my earpiece. "Abort. Poe, Finn, leave the battleship at once. Take BB-8."

"Reinforcements are on their way," Poe says into the earpiece. "I repeat, the Resistance is coming-"

Poe's words are interrupted by another transmission.

"Rey?"

"Finn!" He's alive!

My earpiece rips away from my ear and flies to Snoke's hand. He drops it and steps on it. My stomach clenches at the sound of it crunch.

A few of the lights overhead, that didn't erupt, now turn on, giving the hallway an eerie flickering glow.

"There we are," Snoke says, retracting the red light saber. He holds the handle out to me. "I believe this belongs to you now."

I step back.

"Go on." Snoke grins. "Take it. That's what you came here for is it not? To kill me with this light saber?"

I move forward, testing him. But he doesn't try and stop me in any way. What's his intention? What game is he playing?

An angry yell echoes down the hall. It's Poe. His cry is immediately silenced by a choking sound. I turn but my body freezes in place.

"Stay here, child. They'll come to us. Be patient."

I swallow hard. Then the sound of BB-8's motorized ball zipping along over shattered glass grips at my heart.

"No..."

"Come here, child, let me have a look at you," Snoke beckons me.

I walk to him, my legs wobbly and unsure. His presence is like the stench of death, yet I'm unable to stop my feet from advancing forward until I'm standing right in front of him.

"So naïve," he says slowly, watching me with his small, cold eyes. "So palpable, so full of emotion."

I shudder. His mouth is like an open grave, like the tombs of Ahch-To.

I say nothing, turning my head away. He might be able to control my physical body, but he can't control my mind.

"You're friends are coming," Snoke says.

My head turns back to him, against my will. His hand is raised to me, making me move.

"You should have come alone. Now they will all die, because of you."

"You said it's me you wanted," I finally speak. "So let them go. You've got me."

"Not yet I haven't. But I will. I have foreseen it." He hands me the light saber but I don't take it.

"Take it," he moves it closer. My hands begin to shake.

"No."

Snoke tilts his head to the side, studying me. I resist the urge to spit on him. BB-8 beeps behind me.

"Let them go," I say between clenched teeth. "And I'll take the light saber, like you want." I have no intention of taking it, but Snoke doesn't know that. He isn't in my head.

"You think it's me who's going to harm them?" Snoke shakes his head slowly. "It's not me, but you."

"Shut up!" I yell.

Snoke grins then releases me from his Force hold. I slump back, almost losing my balance, my boot crunching glass. I turn to see Poe glaring at Snoke with an angry expression on his face. Finn simply looks terrified.

"BB-8!" I run back to them but BB-8 suddenly zooms past me, letting out a high beep on the way, her gears grinding as she tries to resist being dragged forward through all the glass pieces towards Snoke who has his hand outstretched.

"No!" Finn and I yell at the same time. My hand goes up and the light saber in Snoke's hand vibrates. Kylo grabs my arm but Snoke throws him back with a wave of his hand.

Suddenly the ship trembles with a jolt and a muffled boom rattles the walls.

"It's the Resistance," Poe says. "You won't win Snoke."

Snoke throws back his head and laughs.

"Supreme Leader, a ground crew has landed-" Kylo begins to say.

"I know, I know," Snoke gives a dismissive wave. "Let them come."

Kylo clenches his fists. I don't try to make a connection with him. Snoke's got him locked but I'm still my own person. Why hasn't Snoke tried anything to enslave me? His assuredness is more frightening than an old fashion fight would have been. What's he waiting for? I get the feeling Kylo is as oblivious to Snoke's plans as I am.

I glance over at him. His expression is stoic as usual.

Another jolt and the ship shakes again. I lose my balance and almost fall into the glass. Kylo grabs my other arm to stop me from falling.

"No!" Poe cries out, reaching to his earpiece. "General, cancel the order to shoot! Do not hit target. Do not destroy the droid-"

Suddenly the hall is raided by Resistance fighters. The first shot is at Kylo. He blocks it, and I redirect it into the wall.

Resistance fighters shoot in Snoke's direction, only they aren't shooting at Snoke, they're shooting at BB-8.

"No!" I yell. Her little metal body bursts into flames. Yet they keep shooting.

My hand goes out and the red light saber flies into it, lighting up the second my fingers clasp around it. I slash down on the Resistance fighter behind me who is shooting at BB-8. He goes down. Then I swing at the other Resistance fighter. There are more shots fired, but now I am invincible. The sword is powerful, cutting through everything in my way, even the walls. I fight. They killed BB-8, and now I will kill all of them.