34

*ROC*

When I walked through the door I smiled at my mom.

"How is Rain?" I asked.

"Still in bed sick. Why don't I just keep Des over night since Rain is in no shape to wake up in the middle of the night?"

"It's ok ma. I'm still here. I got it, but thanks."

She handed me Destiny and I cradled her in my arms.

"She was changed like 20 minutes ago, she just finished a bottle and I burped her, she'll be out like a light." My mom assured me.

She kissed both of our cheeks, grabbed her purse, and went out to her car.

I looked into Destiny's eyes and sighed. "Please be a good girl for daddy. C'mon, time for bed."

I climbed the stairs quietly, taking Rain's bad health and constant headaches into consideration. I put Des in her crib and kissed her goodnight before turning on the baby monitor, shutting out the light, and quietly shutting her door.

"Awww. My poor baby." I frowned at Rain.

"Ugh. I feel awful."

"Just let me change and I'll cuddle with you."

"Nooo. You're ganna get sick." She objected in her croaky sick voice.

I ignored her and replaced my jeans with sweats and pulled off my shirt before getting in bed. She pushed me away and I laughed.

"You're ganna waist all your energy trying to fight me off."

"Yeah so leave me the hell alone." She groaned.

I laughed again and got close to her again, wrapping my arm over her waist.

"Roc leave me alone."

"No."

I tried to kiss her and she put her hand over my mouth.

"Roc DO NOT kiss me. You're ganna get sick!"

She moved her hand away and kept her eyes locked on mine.

"I need your lips." I complained.

"Too bad. You can kiss me when I'm healthy again."

I frowned and bit my bottom lip. "Please."

"No."

She picked up the tv remote, turned off the tv and turned her back to me. The room was pitch black and I could barely see her. Despite her requests I pulled her into my chest and wrapped my arm back around her.

"Don't move." I told her.

"I can't fight you Roc."

"Good. Don't."

I rested my head in the crook of her neck and fell fast asleep.

*5 AM*

I rubbed my eyes and groaned at the sound of Destiny's crying coming from the baby monitor.

"Damn." I mumbled. I felt Rain start to move and stopped her.

"I got it baby. You need to rest."

"Thanks." She said, and then sopped moving.

I swung my legs over the edge of the bed and made my way to Destiny's room. I turned on the light and went over to her crib. I checked her diaper, and it was still clean.

"You hungry?" I asked, as if she would answer.

I carried her downstairs to the kitchen where I held a bottle of Rain's breast milk under warm running water. Destiny kept crying, but I was relieved to know it would stop soon. I shut off the water and tested the milk on my skin, it was cool enough for her to drink safely, and warm enough for her to want.

I sat in a chair around the table and held the bottle while Des drank. After the bottle was about half way done she pushed it away from her face, and did it again when I tried to put it back in her mouth.

I stood to put the bottle back in the fridge and then paused when curiousity struck.

"You really like this stuff huh?" I asked Des.

She stared blankly at me and I laughed, she wasn't ganna answer. I put a small amount in the palm of my free hand and put the bottle back

on the shelf. I licked the milk from my palm, it probably had no taste, but the second it was in my mouth I freaked out and scrubbed it off my tongue with a paper towel. Then I went to put Des back to bed.

"Do not tell your mother." I laughed and shut off the light before going back to my room.