16

*ROC*

I was sitting at my desk working on sneaker designs and for some reason Rain was all I could think about. At first I thought I could ignore it but then my friend Kyle commented on my design.

"Look bro you're a good artist and all...I just don't think Mr.Meely will want a bunch of guys walking around in sneakers with Rain all over them."

I creased my eyebrows and looked down to see a portrait of Rain placed on a sneaker tongue.

"Good point. Man...I don't know why I miss her so much."

"Just call Chris. I'm sure he'll approve for you to take the day off."

"Nah...Im ganna try and stick it out."

"Ok man." He patted my back and walked back to his desk.

I managed to make it through the rest of the day, Rain was still keeping most of my focus, but I did get a little work done. When I got home I went into the kitchen and unwrapped the pot on the stove, Rain always left me dinner for days I wouldn't be able to eat it with her. I didn't bother to heat up the spahgetti and meatballs, I just needed to be with her.

I walked quietly upstairs, afraid she'd be asleep and I poked my head in the door. She was standing in sweats and a bra frowning at her reflection in the mirror.

"Hi princess. What's wrong?" I asked.

"Roc..." She started to cry. "I'm so fat!"

I laughed and she glared at me. The emotional Rain was funny to me. That baby inside her was good at making a mess of her hormones and enotions.

"Baby!" I said, wrapping my arms around her. "You are pregnant. Not fat."

"Oh what do you know!? You don't have to go to sleep a stick and wake up a whale! Your boobs don't hurt! You don't eat frikin pickles and icecream, or throw up when you smell foods you used to love!"

I laughed, but tried hard not to. "It'll be over soon. Two more weeks Princess. Just two."

She nodded and I held her as tight as I could.

"God I can't wait for her to be here." I said before kissing Rain's head.

"Me either."

"Ya know something? I have been thinking about you all day..."

She pulled away so we could make eye contact and then she laughed. "Really? Cuz I haven't thought of you once. In fact I forgot about you."

Well her mood changed quickly.

"Ouch! That hurt my heart."

"Oops." She smiled. "But why you been thinkin about me?"

I shrugged and sat on the bed. "Some people think it has to do with the baby, apparently I'm ganna have a strong protective attraction to you until the baby is born."

She smiled and rubbed her stomach. "Well I like that."

I shrugged. "Doesn't matter to me. As far as I'm concerned I've always been protective of you. Nothing new to me."

She nodded and looked towards the window. Despite my feelings I knew she didn't feel like I always had been. For most of the time that I'd known her I was causing the pain. I sighed and stood. "I'm ganna go heat up my food."

She grabbed my hand at the last second, she knew that guilt was starting to affect me.

"Noooo." She whined. "Just lay with me till I fall asleep ok?"

"Sure."

I pulled off my shirt and she put hers on. One thing about this stage of the pregnancy was Rain's confidence...it was extremely low. Any other night she would have slept in her bra.

"I love you Roc." She whispered.

"I love you more Princess." I replied.

I held her close to me for only a few minutes before she fell fast asleep and I was free to go downstairs and feed my grumbling stomach. While I sat at the kitchen table eating I thought about our future daughter. I pictured her getting her first boyfriend, I'd ask him a million and one questions and threaten him the second she left the room.

She was ganna love me because I was ganna be a cool dad, not a strict one, but she would still know her boundaries. Whenever Rain told her no she would run to me and I'd tell her yes in secret. I wanted her to be a daddy's girl haha, no offense to Rain. I was ganna stay in her life, never abandon her and leave Rain on her own to raise her like when my dad left my mom. It felt like he didn't only leave her, he left me too.

Rain was lucky her dad kept in touch, my dad didn't. And now that her mom was against us both for having a child at so young Mr.Meely was the only parental figure that she had left. The thing about Rain and I was that we WANTED to have a baby at a young age. When she was 20 we didn't wanna be 70 or dieing. We wanted to be around enough for our baby to fully grow up and mature before she lost us.