27. Protector

Title: Protector

Characters: KathNiel

Genre: Romance

I am browsing the pictures I've taken during our stay in Japan when I saw that particular photo and all the emotions came crushing down on me again. What I've felt when I took that and what's running on my mind when I went ahead and capture that surreal moment. I smiled. 

"Ate girl, padami na ng padami ang mga tao, mukhang rush hour na," Arisse told me. I looked around and true enough, mas madami na yung tao ngayon sa subway kaysa kanina. I saw Daniel in a distance, talking animatedly with his friends.  They were standing already since they've given their seats to the elderly and women with children. He must have felt me looking at him because he turned around, smiled at me and gave me a wink. I rolled my eyes and he chuckled. 

"Ay grabe siya oh, may sariling mundo nanaman with her bally," Trina joked. I pouted when Arisse began teasing me too. 

A wave of people came when the train stopped at the next station. I saw a pregnant woman and I offered my seat to her. I was afraid the crowd might overwhelm her tapos mapaanak pa ng wala sa oras. 

"Arigatou," she said politely while taking a seat. I just nodded my head. I was about to approach Daniel and the boys when people started pushing each other. It must be because wala ng space sa train and hindi na sila makahinga ng maayos. Dahil maliit ako, I was pushed to the corner near the door of the train. 

"Sumimasen," I heard someone murmured and I was pushed again. I was squeezed between the door and the crowd of people. I looked around for some help but I could find my friends, even the boys and Daniel. 

I closed my eyes. So this is what a congested train looks like. I've finally experienced it without worrying someone might recognized me and risked being photographed while being squashed to death. I imagined the headlines people might create back at home and I cringed. 

I took a deep breathe and felt the train stopped. I was worried I will be swept away with the people that will get off this station because I was pressed firmly against the doors. 

The speaker announced the name of the station and the doors finally opened. I waited for the rush of people and I thought I was going to be carried along too when a strong hand held my shoulder. 

"Bally," I heard a familiar voice. I turned around and saw Daniel approached me with a cheshire grin plastered on his face. His hand that was on my shoulder slid down to clutch my hand and he turned me around when the doors closed. I was pressed again in the door but this time, Daniel's there to shield me from the crowd. My back was on him and I could feel him breathing down against my hair. 

"Ang kulit mo kasi Bally," he murmured. "You should have stayed with your friends. Ayan, napipi ka pa tuloy. Ang payat-payat mo na nga, paano kung kumalas ka?"