1-17

Once all my stuff was gathered up and in the large brown box I had, it was time for the walk of shame. I could feel everyones eyes on me as I walked down the narrow path leading to the door of the office, hearing the office clown humming the cheerio song as I did so. I didn't care though as all I wanted to do was get out of there.

Walking over to my car in the car park, I popped the boot open and threw the box in, not really caring about any of the possessions in it. "What am I goin' to do now?" I sighed to myself after climbing in and banging my head down on the steering wheel. 

* * * * * 

"Hello dear," my mum chirped, answering the phone.

Sighing, I flung myself back in my chair as I looked out of the window to mine and Nadine's old apartment complex, which we had moved back into. 

"Kimberley! What's wrong?"

"Tell dad I love him mum," I said, bursting into tears.

"Kimberley! Baby... what's wrong?" I could hear the worry in her tone.

I hadn't planned on breaking down, infact I was adamant I wasn't going to before I had dialed her number.

"I can't pay for anythin' anymore," I sobbed. "I can't pay for his care anymore. I don't have a job!" I continued, not making much sense.

"Hey.. calm done. You're getting yourself worked up over nothing," came the soothing reply.

"Mum! I don't have a job... I can't pay for dads care," I shouted, trying to get across the enormity of the situation.

"Calm down!" she replied. "Just... calm yourself down. You're worrying me."

"Sorry." Trying my hardest to compose myself, I sat up and wiped my tears away.

"Now... don't you worry about anything, ok? We'll get through this. All that matters is you get back on your feet... find another job."

I didn't answer. That was the thing about my mum, she didn't care for the reasons as to why... all she wanted to do was make sure I was ok.

"Kimberley?"

"Yeah?" I said, still fighting back my tears.

"I think you should come down for a few days. We can talk about this more."

"Ok mum. I love you."

"I love you too dear. You take care of yourself, ok? And give me a call later."

"I will do. Tell dad and the rest of the family I love them."

"Ok baby. Talk to you later."

"Bye," I sighed before hanging up.

* * * * * 

I sat with my mobile, fidgeting with it. I had tried calling Cheryl, but she wasn't answering.

She was ignoring me.

I brought my hands up, buring my head in them. A few months ago I had everything. I had a boyfriend, a good paying job... but now... now I had nothing, or at least that's what it felt like.

The past week had been hell. After what had happened, I hadn't heard from, or saw Cheryl at all. I had tried getting in contact with her, but she always ignored me. I bet she was glad when we left to go back to our old apartment.

One thing I wasn't expecting was the sheer pain I had, the pain of knowing how much I had hurt her.

Just as I was about to type out one of my texts that I had grown accustom to writing... the ones begging for forgiveness, my phone rang. I immediately looked down, hoping it was her.

It was Bert.

I frowned before answering it. "Hello."

"Kimberley! We've just had Cheryl in!" he shouted, sounding very angry. "You told us you weren't giving us the story! How does she know about it!? She said she's going to sue!"

"That isn't my problem anymore!" I snapped back, knowing Cheryl would do no such thing as she didn't really know a lot about it. She only knew about me trying to get the story, she didn't know what I was trying to get.

Hanging up, I threw myself back onto the sofa, tears running from my eyes. I couldn't take anymore. I had hurt someone I truly cared about, I had lost my job... What next?

Rolling off of the sofa, I grabbed my car keys. "Come here Pixie," I sniffed, beckoning her over with my finger. She did as she was told and ran over, making me giggle through my tears. Picking her up, I hugged her close to me, kissing her little nose before putting her back down.

Making my way to the kitchen, I wrote Nadine a note and then left.