Chapter 21

I picked Lucy up and we went home. She'd had a good time with Angela, who was still a little nervous around her. She sat at the table while I got something for my dad.

"What did you do today?"

Lucy shrugged, looking at me. Well, that's helpful, isn't it?

"Nothing much. Does she always rant about her ex boyfriends?"

That made me laugh. She usually did that when she was really worked up, what had caused that?

"Only when she gets worked up. Why?"

Lucy shook her head, looking at me.

"No reason. She's cute, when she's flustered. did she really catch them in the park?"

I nodded, remembering the way she reacted. She had been so upset. I'd never seen her like that before.

"Yeah. He tried to say that she wasn't there for him, while Jessica, stood there smirking at her. She .............. Kind of lost it. He'd been there through everything. Through ............. Everything with .......... With Mitch. And he just left her for ........ Jessica. Good God, that boy is dumb."

"Tell me something I don't know. I barely know her and think she's great .............. Wait-"

"It's fine, Lucy. I know you like her."

She blushed, and I nudged her shoulder.

"It's OK, Lucy. Don't worry. If you 2 do end up together, and I've no doubt you will, no one is going to try and stop it. You know my dad has no problem with it."

"Yeah, but if get with someone, won't your dad say something about you being with someone?"

I shook my head, I knew he wouldn't.

"With what happened.......... No, he won't. He'll understand. He didn't even ask when I came out. Eric and Angela did. He said something about me going on dates. I told Alice what happened, and out of everything I told her, she picked out the dates. She was surprised that you noticed the way we were watching each other."

"It wasn't obvious. To people who don't know what to look for, at least. I'm not surprised no one else has noticed. I bet she was happy that you're staying back twice a week?"

I blushed, looking away, and thinking about when I told her. She'd been pretty happy about it.

"Maybe."

That made Lucy laugh. My dad walked in, sitting down. I gave him something and he thanked me.

"So, did you 2 have fun at Angela's?"

Lucy looked at me, smirking, before looking at my dad.

"Yeah, we did. How's work?"

"Fine. School?"

Lucy shrugged. My dad knew she struggled with English, but was happy she was getting extra help.

"English is a pain, but it's OK."

"Bella's pretty good at English. I'm sure she could help you. Right, Bella?"

He looked at me, and I nodded. I had been doing that.

"I have been dad. I stay back on Tuesdays and Fridays. I help with homework to, right?"

Lucy nodded, and remembered something.

"Yeah, hey could you proof read the short story assignment? It's not due until Tuesday, I forgot to ask you."

"It's fine, I'll read it later."