Chapter 3

It's been two weeks since I broke up with Mitch, he's been avoiding me and its given me more time to think.

"Earth to Bella!"

I looked at Eric, as he waved his hand in front of my face.

"What?"

Eric and Angela laughed, Mitch wasn't sitting with us at all now.

"Are you OK, Bella? You seem really distracted lately."

I shrugged, not wanting to talk about it.

"I'm fine, Angela."

She shook her head.

"Can I come over after school?"

She wanted to talk about something, I could see that. I knew I'd never get out of this, so I nodded.

"Sure, I'll meet you by my locker after class."

Angela walked me to chemistry and Ms. Brandon passed us. I left Angela and walked in. I had spent enough time thinking about it, to realise that I really liked her. But, there was nothing I could do, she's a teacher and I'm a student. Right?

I stared at the problem, trying to work out how I was supposed to solve this. I gave up, and walked up to her desk. She smiled at me, as I stood next to her.

"Is everything OK, Bella?"

I put my book down, and pointed to the problem.

"I'm not sure how to do this one."

She took my pen and started to explain how to solve the problem. I watched her, as she explained and attempted to listen. I still wasn't sure how to answer it, despite my best efforts to listen to her. I may not want to do chemistry, but I don't want to fail it.

"Does that make sense?"

I shook my head, and sighed. She turned to me and smiled. She spoke, keeping her voice low.

"I have some free time after school. Do you want to get your stuff and come back? Maybe that will help."

Whoa, alone with her? I didn't trust myself as it was. But, I really didn't want to fail, so I nodded and went back to my desk.

I went to my locker to grab my stuff, and saw Angela waiting for me.

"Hey, I have to stay back. Ms. Brandon is going to help me with chemistry. Sorry."

Angela shrugged, saying it was OK, and left.

I grabbed my paramore hoodie and walked back to her class. It was empty by now, and she was at her desk reading something. She turned when she heard me put my bag down.

"Hey, thanks for the help, Ms. Brandon."

She shook her head, and told me to sit next to her.

"It's no problem. I can see where you're having trouble. I didn't want the others to hear. Hey, you like paramore?"

I nodded, surprised. I loved them.

"Yeah, I think they're great."

She looked at them hoodie and I tried not to blush.

"I like them to. Anyway, do you understand this?"

She pointed to something in a book in front of her. I had been watching her, and looked at the book. It was one of the topics that we had already covered,

"I get that. I get a little confused, when I get to this point." I pointed to one of the final steps. "But, the tips you gave me really help."

She turned the page, to the topic we were studying.

"These are pretty similar. There's just an extra step. Look."

She took out a piece of paper, and started writing it out, step by step. I leaned forward to see what she was writing, and she looked at me.

"Does that make sense now?"

She was right. I nodded, and she handed me the piece of paper.

"Yes, it does. Thank you Ms. Brandon."

She shook her head, and I leaned back.

"It's no problem, and call me Alice."

I didn't know how to respond to that, so I just nodded.

"Well, thank you ....... Alice."

She smiled at me, and I noticed how close we were. Our knees were touching and my hand brushed her arm. I noticed how she was watching me, and how she had leaned forward. She wasn't going to kiss me, was she?

I felt her put her hand on my knee, as she leaned forward. She hesitated, giving me time to back out. I leaned in, pressing my lips to hers. In that moment, I knew it was OK. Maybe not legal, but it felt right. Alice pulled away, flustered.

"I think it's best if you go now, Bella."

I opened my mouth to argue but she shook her head. She got up and opened the door.

"I'll see you in class tomorrow."

I got up and just walked out.

I lay on my bed, just thinking. I know she kissed me back. I know she did. I saw the way she watched me. I know she wouldn't risk her career, for this. But, why did she kiss me, knowing what she was risking?

My door opened, and my dad walked in.

"Hey, are you OK?"

I looked up at me, and nodded.

"Yeah. Just tired."

He leaned against the door.

"Did Mitch upset you?"

My dad never liked Mitch. Ever. I shook my head, sitting up.

"It's not that. I broke up with him, dad."

He tried not to look to happy, but I could see he was.

"I know you never liked him, dad. Hey, can I ask you something?"

He looked at me, and I continued.

"Someone said something about his cousin, Chase. I was wondering if you knew anything about that?"

My dad scratched the back of his neck, something he did when he was uncomfortable with a topic of conversation.

"He's in prison, Bella."

I just looked at him. I already knew that.

"I know, dad. I was wondering what he did.

My dad just stood there, not answering me. Neither of us said anything until my dad broke the silence.

"I'm not sure this is appropriate Bella. You're not with him anymore, just forget about it."

"Dad, I need to know what he did. If Mitch"

"He raped a young girl Bella."