Chapter 22

[Beautiful cover made by @ocean_in_moon thank you darling. I love fanart ]

|22|

•Charlotte•

The rumours were true. 

"Every senior will be going on this trip." Mr Walter said as he walked past everyone's desk placing a permission slip on it. "I've chosen to take you all somewhere different this year so I need you all to work with me. Not like last year." He chuckled as he placed a paper on my desk. "A couple of teachers will be going with us as well. I need this done by tomorrow because Saturday we will be setting off."

I picked up the piece of paper, as Lizzie glanced at me. "It could be fun." 

I told her everything last night, ranting how much of a jerk Ramon was. She said she didn't think it was true and he didn't know it was her because if he did and this was a genuine feud, Ramon would be questioning her. Asking her. 

She told me not to jump to conclusions but I was seething last night. Every part of me felt betrayed by him. Yes, I lied as well but my lies weren't big lies. They were little white lies. 

I had seen him this morning and I smiled, pretending nothing had happened. That I didn't know. We laughed and joked and when there came a point where I couldn't look at them all, I said I was going to the bathroom. Lunch had been normal. I listened to music on my phone, shutting out the world and calming my heart. 

History class had started off normal, with us answering the questions from the textbook. A few minutes were left until school ended for the day when Mr Walter decided to address the rumours. 

"I need them by tomorrow. Everything is explained on the sheet so make sure you tell your parents that it's a safe trip." He chuckled just as the bell blared throughout the school. "I want to see them on my desk." He said and dismissed everyone. 

Immediately, everyone started talking, excitement filled their voices as they walked out of the class. I picked up my bag and the paper and headed towards his desk. Lizzie waited for me outside the class. 

"Sir." I called out to grab his attention. He turned to look at me. "I won't be able to go this year as well. Can I do something else instead please?" I asked him, placing the paper on the desk. 

He sighed. "Charlotte, I can't allow that anymore. Someone complained last year, saying I was picking favourites and I can't do it again. It's either go with us, or work extra hard to pass with an A in this class." He explained to me, pushing the piece of paper back towards me.

I watched him turn away and face his computer as I picked up the paper. I walked out of the class. I had no chance of passing History with A. I barely scraped a grade B. 

"He said no?" Lizzie asked as she walked besides me in the hall. I nodded. "Maybe just ask Mary if she can stay over for a few days." She glanced at the paper in her hand. "It's for five days. You can spend your birthday in Italy." She smiled at me as we walked out of the school. 

I saw Ramon waiting besides his car. He noticed me and smirked as he walked towards me.  He smiled, stopping in front of me. 

I returned the smile as he asked. "Are you going to Italy?" 

It was such a basic question, a smile on his face as he waited for an answer. I couldn't give it to him, knowing who he was and he was looking for me. I tried all day today to be normal, to move past it. He would tell me himself but being part of the Mafia wasn't something you could go around blabbering to someone.