Chapter 13

|13|

•Charlotte•

I had stared at the picture for 30 minutes last night. It was completely out of blue that he would draw me. We had spent the rest of the class, working on our essay, making it detailed but not too much and making sure we wrote the key parts. He wrote every single word I said and then handed me the notebook saying we should cut out a few repetitive words. He definitely wasn't failing last year. 

Ramon Vitali was clever but didn't bother showing it. He sat in the back of the classrooms, with his friends, unbothered by what the teachers said. He had the reputation of being a drug dealer and everyone feared him for a reason I didn't know. Last year was a tough year for me and being in school was hardly my first priority. 

I couldn't show it to Lizzie yesterday because she was busy trying to do her homework at home. She had to leave school early, to look after her brother, Daniel who was sick and her mom was busy. I walked it home, knowing there were eyes on me. Cameron didn't bother me at all. 

When I woke up this morning, I woke up with a clear mind and made breakfast for my dad and Mary who were both in a good mood. I promised my dad that we would go out today to the closest park so he could walk and enjoy some fresh air. Mary said she could assist us and I was thankful for it. 

"Wait. Let me get this straight." Lizzie glanced at me confused as she pulled up to the left side of the road and parked up. "Ramon drew a picture of you?" She asked and I nodded. "I want to see it." She demanded. 

I pulled the notebook out of my bag and opened it up to show her. Lizzie gasped and awed at the picture. "If only it was in pencil so he could shade it properly but this is so cute." She gushed, taking the notebook out of my hands. 

I chuckled. Her inner artist had awoken. "It was very strange." I said to her as she handed me the notebook and started driving to school. 

"That he drew you? Or the part that it might indicate that he's crushing on you?" 

I leaned back on the seat as I stared out the window. "He is probably doing one of those school bets that trended two year ago. Remember when Mindy was played with?" I turned to ask her. 

"Mindy with the braces?" She questioned and I nodded. "I don't think Ramon wants to be the first one to take your virginity. I doubt it's a bet. I don't think Calvin will allow it." 

My mind started to overthink as I sat up straighter. "Calvin won't know about it. Probably Alex doesn't know either. Josh keeps flirting with me. Maybe it's a bet between them." I turned to face her while she entered the school car park. "He asked me if I slept with Cameron. Either my sarcasm is terrible or he wanted to know if I still have my virginity." 

Lizzie parked the car and switched it off. She turned to face me. "I am the one with the anxiety problems and my brain is calm. Take a deep breath with me and do not panic about this. We'll see them at lunch and you can ask him bluntly. You've got to put your big girl socks on." She grinned at me as I laughed. 

Yes. Today I would ask him why he was being nice to me. 

***

"They're coming." Lizzie whispered to me as she glanced towards them. I sat up straighter, opening my water bottle and gulping down the water.