Chapter 12

|12|

•Charlotte•

English was our first class but the day seemed to be a hard one today. Lizzie was quiet because she felt like today was going to be a negative day in her book. The weather was terrible, the constant splatter of the rain hitting the windows, echoed in my mind as we sat down at our desks.

Dad was suffering at home, able to walk but constantly tired and he was eating less day by day. Joe hadn't called me in for another fight, which meant less people were coming or they were either under lockdown because word had spread of a fighter who everyone wanted to watch. Me. The word was a breath away from falling into the wrong ears and immediately everything would end if the police came to find out I was minor.

"Hey." Calvin walked into the room towards us. Lizzie smiled at him as he sat behind our desk. "Where's Mrs Margaret? She's never late." He asked.

"I'm not sure." Lizzie shrugged her shoulder, glancing at her watch. "She is five minutes late today."

"Can we join you at lunch today? Me and the boys?" Calvin asked her. She smiled and turned to look at me. I shrugged my shoulders. It was all up to her. Lizzie smiled at Calvin and nodded, who returned her smile.

Mrs Margaret walked into the class with a tired sigh leaving her lips as if she was done with us all. "Class," she called out to get everyone's attention. "We have a new student with us today."

I froze in my seat as I watched him walk inside, his school bag over his shoulder. Cameron ran a hand through his hair, smiling at the class, his gaze running over us all. I glared at him as he smiled at me. I could feel Lizzie and Calvin's eyes burning in me but I didn't look at them as Cameron faced Mrs Margaret.

"Shall I take a seat?" He asked politely, probably already planning ways to kill her if she said no. Mrs Margaret nodded and pointed to the seat in the first row.

Cameron turned to face the class, a constant fake smile glued to his face. "It's really nice to meet you all. I'm Cameron." He introduced himself before sitting down at his desk.

It was bad enough that they followed me around everywhere, but in school? He didn't belong here and I knew what they were doing. Forcing me to join the gang, a constant reminder of who they were and what they could do.

I wasn't going to let it affect me.

"Open your books to page 35." Mrs Margaret said. "Lee, start reading." She called out to him. Lee coughed dramatically and let out a deep sigh before starting to read.

***

"He is in every class we have, Charlotte." Lizzie sighed as we picked up our trays and walked out of the cafeteria. The rain had stopped and the sun was shining again, drying up every wet spot.

"I'm tempted to chop his dick off and shove it in his mouth."

I was seething as I walked towards our bench. Cameron was in every class Lizzie and I shared. Every single one. He didn't talk to me, he didn't even sit next to me but he knew his presence affected me. He was constantly there, laughing and talking with a few girls or guys, making himself a part of my life.

"I think that would be a lovely sight." Lizzie laughed as I placed my tray on the table.

"Hey." I heard Calvin call out to us as he walked towards us.