Chapter 18

|18|

•Charlotte•

Today was a negative day for me. I could hardly get out of bed with the way my stomach laughed viciously and stabbed me continuously.

I pulled my shirt down before kneeling down on the ground in my room. Lifting the mattress up, I found one of my bags of money. I picked it up and placed the mattress down softly. The room door was shut since Mary was downstairs with dad. She didn't question at all why I was not going to school today. She didn't need to ask.

I opened the bag and pulled out a few hundred dollar bills and stuffed them in my purse that I grabbed from my bed. I was going out shopping today. I needed to buy a few things for dad and myself.

School would have started already but I was ignoring my phone that seemed to blow up with messages and calls. All from one person. Ramon.

I had texted Lizzie last night telling her to say I was ill but Ramon didn't seem to get the message as I picked up my phone and declined his call before putting it into my jeans pocket. I picked up my purse before heading out of the room.

"Are you going now?" Mary called out to me as she noticed me heading towards the door.

I nodded. "I'll get dad's medicine and bring some shopping on the way back." I told her and she nodded, smiling at me softly as she headed towards the living room where dad was sitting quietly, lost in thought.

I walked out of the house, the sun glaring down at me as I walked towards the taxi I had called in the morning.

Today was one of those days that I slept in. I didn't go to school and ditched it. Lizzie always understood, so did Mary. They never questioned me but I could feel my phone buzzing with messages as I sat inside the taxi and told the driver to take me to the cemetery.

Pulling out my phone, I read the messages.

I can't find you at school?

Did you save my number because this would be strange.

I'm waiting.

For a reply.

Amore. Why are you not here?

Did I do something wrong? I apologised for hitting the fucker. If you want me to get down on my knees, come to school and I'll do whatever you want.

Lizzie told me you're not feeling well. Can I come and see you? I make the best get well soon soup.

I'm bored in this class.

I'm working on the essay. Do you think I'll get something special if I do it all?

My special consists of you doing a certain thing...

Want me to demonstrate it for you? Give me your address and I'm there in a second.

I stopped reading the messages and put my phone back in my pocket as I stared out the window.

Why couldn't my mood reflect the weather? I wanted to feel happy because I was visiting mom. Today was the date she had died on. The day she had been ripped apart from our lives.