Chapter 16

|16|

•Charlotte•

My determination for getting out of bed every day was my dad. I didn't care if my body was screaming in pain, he mattered more. 

I sat up in bed, slowly as I felt my face. I could feel the sore parts that were probably bruised and the rest of my body hurt. My arms, my stomach, my ribs. Every inch of my body above the legs hurt as I pushed myself out of bed. 

I walked out of the room, heading towards the bathroom when I heard a curse from dad's room. Without hesitation, I ran into the room to see him lying on the ground, trying to lift himself up. 

"What happened?"I asked as I walked towards him quickly. I bent down and lifted him up by the waist so he was leaning against the bed. 

"I think I need sugar. I can't feel my legs." He mumbled quietly.

It happened with Dementia patients. There were days when dad could hardly get up from the bed unless he was given sugary stuff to boost his blood sugar levels up. He would lose every drop of energy from his legs and lifting a man who couldn't control his movements was hard. Extremely hard for one person. 

"Okay, let's get you up in the bed and then I'll bring you some food, alright?" I told him, moving behind him. "Work with me, okay?" I asked and he nodded as I put my arms under his armpits, while bending down. I ignored the pain my body screamed at me. 

"One, two, three." I counted for him and on three, I pulled him up. It was hard, and he fell back down, cursing at himself but I didn't question it. My back ached as I bent down and pulled him up again.

Dad pressed his hands on the bed, holding himself up. He had upper body strength from all the years he worked in the gym. I quickly pulled his legs up onto the bed, while keeping one leg besides his back so he didn't fall down. I helped him climb back into bed and smiled to myself as he pulled his legs together. 

There was nothing worse for a human than feeling dependent on someone, knowing that you were hurting them along the way.

I knew that was how dad felt as he looked at his legs. 

"I'm sorry." He said looking up at me. He frowned, holding onto my face. "What happened to your face?" He asked, giving me confusing looks. 

"I fell down the stairs last night." I lied to him as I sat besides him on the bed. 

The bruises hadn't formed last night so when I came home, Mary hadn't questioned anything. She hugged me and said she was tired so she was going to go home. I had closed up everything after she had left and checked on dad to see he was sleeping. I took a hot shower, letting my body burn under it as the shower washed away my tears. 

"I wish I was better and I could help." He mumbled to me. "I know you're struggling and I'm sorry." He apologised to me and I shook my head. 

"Dad, you don't have to apologise for anything." I held his hand. "You're fine, you're okay and that's all that matters." I smiled up at him. 

"I feel useless." He sighed and I shook my head, moving closer to him. 

"In this house, we do not let the negativity run through us. You taught me that. Let's shake this negativity out." I grinned at him as I held onto both of his hands.