Chapter 14

|14|

•Charlotte•

"Mary." Lizzie pouted as she walked into the house behind me. 

Today the day at school had gone awfully fast. Something that rarely happened but everyone had been thankful when the bell had rang. The boys hadn't joined us at lunch which I was thankful for. I hardly saw Ramon throughout the day and I was saved from another day of being embarrassed. 

Yesterday I had come home after spending the day with my dad and Mary and I had slammed my head against my pillow the moment I had stepped into my room, muttering how stupid I was in school. 

I knew I was about to start my periods, which turned me into an emotional crying bitch. 

"Yes?" Mary answered Lizzie as she walked  downstairs. "Steve is resting." She told me and I nodded.  

Dad had done good yesterday. We had spent hours outside, just enjoying the day. Mary said she would watch him while I went to go and get food. I had jogged down to Joe's diner, Mandy had grinned at me when I had ordered the food. We had talked a little before I went back to the park. 

It felt peaceful and my heart was beating with happiness even on the way back home. 

"Can you force Charlotte to come with me and our new friends to a fun fair right this second? They'll be at my house in an hour." Lizzie complained to Mary who laughed and nodded. 

She turned to me but I shook my head. "I should be here, with dad, with you. Just in case you need my help." I told her. "We can't change the routine, Mary." 

Lizzie sighed but nodded besides me, knowing I was right. 

My dad was on a strict routine, which he would follow blindly. He never questioned anything, comfortable in his surroundings. Patients with dementia needed structure and balance. They needed to feel calm in their surroundings, safe, so they wouldn't lash out. 

During summer, Mary and I had worked on perfecting my dad's routine. I would get up in the morning and he would be ready, waiting downstairs by himself in the living room with the tv on. I would cook breakfast, and let Mary into the house. 

She never wanted a key, because she wanted dad to know she would be arriving every day by the knock on the door. We would stay inside, or go out for a walk once a week. Everything was going well until school started for me. I couldn't change the routine too much. Dad would wake up and not find me here. 

"Charlotte." Mary sighed, taking a step towards me. "You are working too hard. Go out with your friends and enjoy your day. I'm here, and if I need your help, I'll ring you immediately." She smiled as she looked up at me. 

"Mary.." 

"Go." She urged me. I smiled as she said. "Tell me everything when you get back." She said and I nodded. 

I turned to Lizzie who was grinning. "I'm not getting changed." I said to her, comfortable in my black jeans and dark blue top I was wearing. The weather was warm outside which was perfect. 

"Thank you." Lizzie hugged Mary tightly before walking out of the house. I picked up my black jacket from the stairs and hugged Mary as well before heading out. I had my phone stuffed into my pocket which had my emergency money behind the case.