Chapter 1

|1|

Charlotte

{I recommend not reading the comments at all since most of the names have changed.}

The cool air nipped at my skin as I stood outside my front door. I could hear the moans in the streets and smell the weed in the air as I let out a deep breath. 

I turned around to face the front door, the light above the door flickering in the darkness. The stars shined down on me as I pushed open the door, slowly and softly. I froze with the door wide open, the cold air sneaking past me as I listened to the sound blaring through the dark living room. 

The curtains were wide open and from the outside I could see a woman on the tv cooking. Another cooking show. I walked inside the house and closed the door behind myself. I locked it, bolted the door to keep the cold air out. 

Placing my bag down on the ground, I took my shoes off. Slipping my feet into a pair of flats, I walked towards the living room and smiled softly to myself as I saw my dad sleeping on his beaten leather chair. The room was freezing as I walked inside and tried to find the remote to the TV. It was placed on the brown coffee table. 

 I switched the tv off and the room was covered in darkness immediately. Reaching out blindly, I switched the lamp on besides my dad. He was sleeping, as if nothing in this world would bother him. I was thankful for that. Picking up the blanket, and not wanting to disturb him, I placed it on him, wrapping him in the blanket gently. I picked up the tray full of food which dad had not finished and walked out of the living room and into the tight dark hallway.

The lights were either broken or I hadn't paid the rent. It was due today but Tom, my landlord had never shown. I had stood in the cold for an hour, waiting for him to show. He hadn't. Not a text or a call to tell me he was busy. 

I walked into the kitchen, and switched the lights on. They worked. Dishes from dinner were still in the sink as I placed the tray besides it. I was in no mood to do the dishes. I picked up the plate of food and placed it in the microwave. 

I heard a meow and I froze, seeing a black cat in my house. I held in a scream, trying to hiss at it.

The one thing that frightened me were cats. I was absolutely terrified of them. The cat watched me as it sat peacefully near the back door. I pushed myself up against the fridge, near the door and reached out my hand. The cat stood up, waiting eagerly to leave. I opened the back door and immediately the cat ran out. Letting out a deep sigh, I closed the door and locked it tightly. 

Tonight was just not my day and with school in the morning, I was ready to give up already and sleep forever. I shrugged my jacket off as I walked out of the kitchen and upstairs to my room. The house we were living in was a two bedroom house, with a single bathroom. It was in the worst part of the neighbourhood but that was all I could afford. 

I pulled out my phone to text Lizzie. Picking me up tomorrow? It was barely ten pm but I felt tired as I walked into my room. 

I placed my jacket on the chair I had for reading and switched the light on. The white walls were completely bare, a little damp because of the raining weather at times. Walking towards the window that had bars on the outside, I closed the curtain. My single bed was placed beside the window, making it colder in the nights. Two sets of drawers for my clothes and other stuff were placed opposite my bed, giving me enough room to walk around a little.