Chapter 31: Date Night at Mel's Diner

The next day, Connor was in his house watching the Los Angeles Angels and the Baltimore Orioles facing off at Angels Stadium and the Angels so far were beating the Orioles and then, he heard his cell phone ring.

"Let's see who's calling." Connor said to himself as he reached for his phone and picked up to see who was calling and he sees the caller id saying "mom", which signaled that Abby was calling and then he picked up. "Hello, mom."

"Hi, sweetie. What are you doing?" Abby asked.

"Just watching the Los Angeles Angels give the Orioles a beatdown." Connor replied. "What are you up to?"

"Nothing." Abby said. "Later on, i'm gonna head to Mel's Drive-In, but this time i'm heading to the one on Sunset Boulevard do you want to go?"

"Count me in, i'll be there." Connor agreed. "Are we gonna have any tag-alongs or is it just gonna be the both of us?"

"It's just gonna be the both of us, it can be a mother-son date night." Abby told him. "Not only have we been going to the one on Highland, but we've been to the Mel's Drive-in on Sunset Boulevard when you were younger as well."

"Oh, yeah. I remember." Connor said. "What time do you want me to meet you there?"

"7:00 PM." Abby told him.

"Thanks for letting me know, mom."

At 6:30 PM, the sun was setting and Connor had just gotten out of the shower and walked to the closet in his room and put on red trackpants, a white t-shirt and the Albert Pujols Angels jersey too with red sneakers from Reebok, grabbed his keys and cell phone and headed out of the house, turned on his ADT home security system and got in his escalade and drove to Mel's Drive-in diner.

At the Mel's Drive-In diner, which was on Sunset Boulevard and had outdoor tables for people who wanted to eat outside, Abby was standing at the entrance next to the jukebox, waiting for her son to arrive and a minute later, she sees Connor arrive in his escalade and park next to her escalade, then he got out of the vehicle and locked it, then walked to the entrance.

"Hey, you made it." Abby said.

"I sure did, mom." Connor told his mother and gave her a kiss on the cheek. "I'm ready to eat."

"Me too." Abby stated as she held Connor's hand and they walked into the diner together and they saw a sign that said please seat yourself and found a table that was behind the Jukebox and sat down and a minute later, the waiter arrived at the table and he was ready to take their orders.

"What would you guys like?" He asked.

"I'd like to have the Mel Southern Fried Chicken with fresh lemonade, please." Abby stated.

"I would like the Taco Chicken Salad with a Coca Cola with no ice, please." Connor said.

"Ok, your food will be ready in five minutes." He told them as he went to serve another table as Abby and Connor were awaiting their food.

"Mom, i cannot wait to get started on rehearsals for Nationals, i'm so excited." Connor admitted with a gleeful look on his face.

"Me too." Abby agreed.

"The girls put in a lot of hard work and hopefully, we bring home a second straight national title." Connor said. "I've got a question for you, mom."

"What is it?"

"Who's gonna work with who?" Connor asked. "Because i know we usually both work with the girls group dance."

"Well, so you can work with Chloe and Brookie's solos and i'll work with Maddie and Mackenzie's solos. How does that sound?" Abby offered.

"Sounds like a plan, mom."

"And also, after Nationals, you and i will be filming my new show Abby's Ultimate Dance Competition and like i've said before, on that show, there will be 14 dancers auditioning and only twelve will make it and the last dancer standing when it's all said and done will earn a scholarship to the Joffrey Ballet School and $100,000 and you never know, one of the members might be a part of Dance Moms and the ALDC team."

"Like i've said before, that's a wonderful idea." Connor told her. "Mom, between the both of us, who is most likely to win their solo between Maddie, Mackenzie, Brookie and Chloe?"

"Well, i think that it's gonna be close." Abby admitted, their food arrived and they began to eat slowly. "But we've got to beware, Cathy and her rotten apples will be coming to Nationals to try to beat us."

"Mom, don't worry, like you always say, we're gonna make mincemeat out of those crabby apples." Connor reassured his mother as he ate his Taco Chicken Salad.

"I'm so glad that you've always had faith in the girls." Abby told him, taking a bite out of the fried chicken and their dinner was finished an hour later and they paid the check and left a tip, then they both left the diner.

"Well, i'm gonna go home and relax." Connor said.

"Ok, See you later." Abby said, giving her son a hug. "Remember, friday is the first rehearsals for Nationals."

"I wouldn't miss it for the world, mom." Connor replied as Abby gave him the thumbs up, then he headed to his escalade as Abby got in her escalade and drove off and Connor got in his escalade and pulled out of the parking lot and headed home.