Chapter 24: Riding the Surfliner

It was an early saturday morning, the time was 6:45 AM and at Los Angeles Union Station, which is a passenger station that served Amtrak's Surfliner Line, Coast Starlight, Southwest Chief, Texas Eagle on select days and Sunset Limited. It also serves the Metrolink's 91, Antelope Valley, Orange County, San Bernardino and Ventura County Lines.

At the waiting room, which was a old style lobby with seats and light fixtures, Abby, Gianna, Christi, Kelly, Hollie, Holly, Jill, Melissa, Chloe, Paige, Brookie, Nia, Kendall, Maddie and Mackenzie were sitting down waiting for the train to start boarding as Connor hadn't arrived at the station yet.

"Abby, i was told yesterday that the Candy Apples don't have any solos, but they do have a group dance." Gianna informed Abby.

"Thanks for giving me the heads up." Abby replied to her assistant choreographer. "I wouldn't be surprised if Cathy showed up in our dressing room before the competition."

"Don't worry, Connor always has our backs no matter what, he won't let Cathy try to get under your skin and the girls got this." Gianna said.

"You know it." Abby replied as the girls were awaiting a ride on the train to San Diego.

"This is gonna be so great, we're gonna ride the train to the Competition!" Chloe squealed in joy.

"It's sure gonna be awesome, Chlobird." Paige told her twinny. "Have you ever rode a train before?"

"I rode the subway one time, Connor took me on the red line when we met up with Miss Abby and my mom."

"I remember that." Paige then turned her attention to the other girls. "You all know that Miss Abby and Connor are gonna be stressed when we see Cathy and her rotten apples."

"You know it, Paigey. But we'll beat Cathy and send her back to San Francisco crying." Mackenzie said.

"Hopefully we will, Kenzie." Maddie replied to her younger sister.

"If we lose to them, Miss Abby is really gonna let us have it." Brooke K added.

"And one of our moms will start something and it results in one of us getting into trouble and being put on the bottom of the pyramid." Kendall said.

"But if one of the solos get first place, then Miss Abby and Connor won't be that mad." Payton told them as they were all talking about the competition and train ride while the moms were talking.

"Do you know when Connor will arrive?" Hollie wondered.

"Connor'll be here. He wouldn't miss this for the world and if he was sick, Abby would let us know." Melissa replied.

"Did you know Abby told me that he loves to ride trains?" Christi told the moms.

"He does?" Jill said.

"He sure does, Connor has rode the Red and Purple line trains and his favorite station is Pershing Square."

"I was there one time, it's a nice looking station." Melissa said.

Leslie was looking toward the main entrance of the station. "There he is, i see him."

The moms, the girls, Gianna and Abby all saw Connor walk into the station and he was wearing sunglasses, his hair was in a ponytail, he was wearing blue jeans, a white t-shirt and a blue short sleeved button down shirt.

"Hello, everybody." He greeted as he headed to where his mother and his girlfriend were sitting and sat down.

"Hi, Connor. How are you doing this morning?" Jill asked.

"I'm doing good, Jill."

Later on, a voice came over the intercom in the station.

"Your attention passengers, Amtrak Surfliner Train #564 to San Diego that will depart at 7:25 is now boarding on Track #7."

"Girls, moms, that's our train!" Abby told them as she, Connor and Gianna got up, then Chloe, Brookie, Paige, Nia, Kendall, Maddie, Mackenzie, Payton, Christi, Hollie, Kelly, Holly, Jill, Melissa and Leslie got up from their seats with their tickets in their hands as they made their way to the tunnels that lead to the tracks above.

"What track is it again?" Mackenzie asked.

"Track #7." Payton answered.

"This is gonna be a fun train ride!" Maddie said.

"I know." Brookie added, then she looked over at Kendall. "Kendall, have you ever been on a train before?"

"Only on the Metrolink, but i've never been on the Amtrak Surfliner before." Kendall replied.

They saw steps that lead to Track #7 and walked to the staircase, headed up the stairs and saw that their train was sitting on the track with it's doors open and got onboard the third car of the train, headed upstairs and took their seats, Connor sat at a window seat next to Abby and across from them Christi sat with Gianna. In other seats, Chloe sat with Paige, Brookie sat with Mackenzie, Maddie sat next to Payton, Nia sat with Holly, Leslie sat with Jill, Melissa sat with Kelly and Hollie sat in the seat behind Connor's seat.

"Connor, i've got a question for you." Gianna said.

"Ask away, Gia." Connor stated to his girlfriend.

"Have you and Abby ever rode the Amtrak Surfliner before?"

"Well, we did, we took some trips to Disneyland and in one of those trips, we both had the day off and attended the Los Angeles Angels parade after they had won the World Series in 2002, we've also attended several Angels games." Connor replied.

"And he used to heckle most of the opposing teams, but did it in a classy way." Abby added.

"I remember you telling me stories about that." Gianna said. "Have you ever gone camping?"

"I took Connor camping when he was 11 and we had a great time, we roasted marshmallows and looked at the stars when it was night." Abby explained.

"And i reminded mom to bring some Off to keep the mosquitoes away." Connor said as Holly and Nia were sitting in their seats awaiting for the train's departure.

"This train is amazing." Nia said, admiring the interior of the car.

"We've never rode the Surfliner before." Holly told her daughter. "It's gonna be a fun ride to San Diego."

"That it is, mom." Nia replied as Maddie and Payton were just looking out the window and saw a Metrolink train pull in on the track across from them.

"This must be a busy station." Maddie said.

"It is, Connor told me that one time." Payton responded.

"Do you think we'll see the Anaheim Stadium?" Maddie asked Payton.

"We just might and most likely, Connor will take a picture." Payton said.

"Knowing him, he just may."

"Good morning, passengers. Welcome aboard Amtrak Surfliner Train #564 from Los Angeles to San Diego, making stops at Fullerton, Anaheim, Santa Ana, Irvine, San Juan Capistrano, Oceanside, Solana Beach and the last stop will be San Diego. Estimated time of the train ride is Two Hours and 45 minutes and have your tickets out." The conductor said, then the intercom went off.

After that announcement, more passengers boarded and at 7:25, the train started to move, pulling slowly out of the station and on it's way to San Diego and through that ride, Connor looked out the window and took pictures of the scenery and at Fullerton, the conductor collected their tickets.

At 10:10, the train arrived in San Diego and when the train came to a stop, Abby, Connor, Gianna, Melissa, Holly, Hollie, Jill, Christi, Kelly, Leslie, Maddie, Mackenzie, Nia, Brookie, Kendall, Chloe, Paige and Payton all got their things and got off the train and headed to the bus, the girls put their competition bags in the luggage compartment and then got on and after everyone was onboard, the bus headed to the competition.