Fifteen: Wantings...

We chuckle before I inhale sharply.

"Through some online page..." I initiate.
Mom awaits my continuation.

"You can say our mutual approach of a relationship brought us together..." I inform her and turn to wink at Jodie. She chuckles and mom smiles nodding.

"And then you decided to meet up?" She asks and Jodie and I nod.

"That's something..." She grins.
"Not the usual..."
"But knowing you my son... You're not quite the ordinary..." She states and Jodie glances at me.

"I never heard him telling me that he once flirted with some girl he liked in a public place... Or asked his classmate on a date..."

"Even when he was little..."
"He'd give every year's heart-shaped Valentine lollipop to his favorite english teacher and never to the girl he likes..." She says and I grin at the memory shaking my head amused.
Jodie giggles beaming at me.

"What was her name again?" She asks and I take a moment to recall.

"Nada..." I recollect and mom chuckles.

"She was a very quiet girl."
"The first in her class..."
"And him, being the second in their class... He was in constant competence with her." She says and Jodie laughs breathily.

"She was so good at math..."
"I suffered..." I tell her and Jodie laughs some more.

"You never told me why you liked her..." Mom says and I grin to myself.

"To me she seemed so powerful."
"A bit intimidating..."
"Independent and acting all older than her age but then one day, there was this spelling bee..."
"I won it, and I had to choose between two gifts, a car and a doll..."
"Ofcourse, I knew what I was going for but-"
"The way she looked at that barbie doll..."

"For the first time it wasn't about winning. All she just wanted was that doll..."
"So I gave it to her and the next day we became good friends..."
"She was really just a typical eight years old after that day..."
"And she started helping me with my math and all..."
"I just never dared to give her that goddamned lollipop..." I chuckle and they both laugh at this.

"Do they still make these lollipops though?" I ask and they laugh harder.

"I'm sure they still do..." Mom chuckles.

"God! I miss school..." I admit and Jodie instantly nods agreeing.
"When did everything get so complicated?" I wonder.
"Growing up is tough..." Jodie adds and mom nods in agreement.

"Auntie Jodie!" Malak appears approaching us.
"Mom's here!" She announces and mom grins.
"Oh, Niveen! Finally!" She rises.
"Excuse me now..." She winks at us and follows Malak towards another high table, where Malak's mom and a few other elders were seated.

I sigh, rising abruptly.
"Walk with me..." I extend a hand towards Jodie.

She eyes it hesitantly but then she eventually places her palm over mine as she steps down onto the ground.

I lead the way towards the backdoor and we soon found ourselves out.
The music muffled and calmness followed apart from the sound of night crickets and frequent dog barks.

"When did all this get planned?" I speak.
"Just last night..."
"Minutes before you called to tell me you weren't going to your parents' for the weekend..."
"It was very spontaneous..."
She grins.
"Did it surprise you?" She chuckles and I nod smiling at her.

"How did you get here?" I ask.
"I drove over to Malak's at around three in the afternoon..." She replies and I nod impressed by Adham and Malak's undercover organization...