The Rivalry Chapter 38

"Lynnae, I have a letter for you!" Vivian exclaimed excitedly as she burst through my room one afternoon.

"Is it from Grant??" I asked as I held out my hand in anticipation.

"I believe so, the messenger from the army came today bearing this!" she said as she sat down on the bed patiently after handing it to me.

I held the parchment to my chest for a moment before holding it in front of myself, breaking the seal and opening it.

My Dearest Lynnae,

I'm sorry I have not been able to write sooner, things have not gone as smoothly as we had hoped. Do not fear though, we are not in any eminent danger.

It took us nearly a week and a half to breach the borders and get into the Western lands to secure a place to set up camp. She keeps moving and relocating, but we know where she is, we have a mole in her army who informs us of her whereabouts.

I fear that we will be here much longer than I intended, four to five months at the most I pray. I have complete confidence in the men that we will accomplish what we have come here for. I have hundreds of faithful men behind me and I know that we will succeed.

Enough of upsetting war blather. I miss you immensely. Sleeping on the hard ground every night is torture when I compare it to when I slept next to your warm, soft body. I miss the sweet scent of your skin and the feel of your petal soft lips. I relish the token you made me and I wear it inside my breast plate at all times, keeping it as close to my heart as is possible.

How are you feeling as of late? I know that pregnancy can be accompanied by some sickness, I hope that it is not unbearable. I wish I could be there with you through these times - oh the milestones I will have missed! I wish so to see the small bump of your abdomen that I am confident has begun to show. I cannot wait until I can come home and lay a hand on your belly that swells with our life.

I love you Lynnae and I miss you constantly. I hope you can write back to me, I will wait patiently.

Always yours, Grant.

I closed my eyes, hugged the letter to my chest and sighed. I opened them and looked at Vivian.

"They are well, things are taking longer than they had anticipated though....they expect to be gone four to five months," I said as I sat down, both happy and devastated. I had hoped they would be gone no longer than two or three months. I lay my hand on the small bump of my belly.

"Don't worry baby, your father is safe," I whispered as I rubbed my slightly protruding abdomen.

"At least we have word and know they are safe," she said as she nodded to herself, attempting to console herself as well.

"Yes. I think I'll reply now. Will you be able to give my letter to the messenger before he takes his leave again?"

"Oh, yes. He will not leave until tomorrow morn, I already discussed it with him. I will take leave now and be back in a few moments when you are done writing," she said as she stood up and quickly scurried out of the room.

I sat down at the desk that was nestled in the corner of the chambers and picked up a quill and ink, struggling to find the words to start.

My Beloved Grant,

I am elated to hear that you and the men are well. I have been doing many numerous things around the castle to keep myself occupied. I have been waiting for this day, the day where I would get word from you.

I miss you so, it hurts me terribly to know you are so far from me. I am no more satisfied at night than you, I might as well be sleeping on the hard ground as well, for the cold bed brings me no comfort. I revel in the thought of the day when I shall have your strong arms encircled around me once again.

Our child is well and you are correct, my belly has swollen slightly, though it is impossible to tell under the gowns. It is amusing to watch as it slowly grows, knowing that your life is harbored within me. It warms me to the soul.

I feared that you would have to stay longer than I had hoped. I will be well though, have no fear of that. I have many things to prepare for. Mother made us an infant room! It is wonderful, so beautiful and adorned with such lush amenities! I could not believe it when she showed me, such a wonderful surprise.

I hope I am not keeping you from important things with my endless rant, but I cannot find the power to make myself stop writing! It makes me feel as if though I am connected to you somehow.

I cannot help but find humor in the time you come back - if you shall recognize me or not! I fear I will be much larger by that time!

I have written to your mother, I told her of my condition. I hope you don't mind. I believe she will be equally as excited as we are. Perhaps she can come for a visit, as we both wait for these next few months to pass.

I so look forward to your return. I must admit that many nights I sleep with nothing but one of your nice silken shirts on, it is amazing how it comforts me so, to know that you once wore the cloth.

I cannot wait to see your striking gaze upon me once again.

With Love Always, Lynnae

*******

"This is ludicrous! We have been here for months and we have not had nearly the success I anticipated!" I boomed as I slammed my hand down onto my shield as I was sitting before the fire, after returning from another small battle.

"I never anticipated they would be this strong," Roren said from beside me. I snorted.

"We have to take a new approach. We are going to do this the conventional way. I've had enough of these analytical tactics. We are going to end this in one battle. No more of this skirting around the outside taking out small portions of her army here and there. We must prepare. It will not be over shortly, it will not come easily, and we will lose many men," I said as I stared into the flickering flame. "But it will end."

I looked to Roren. His face looked somber but he nodded, knowing it was the only option now. We tried to infiltrate her main camp. We tried to spare the men and not fight unless it was absolutely necessary. We tried to get to her, rid of her quickly and be done with it...but she was too elusive. The defense she had surrounding her was incredible.

Now the only choice is to dive head first into the madness. It will be one of the biggest battles I have ever lead. It will by far be the most difficult.

"Are you willing to do so?" I asked, knowing my face showed exactly what my mind was thinking. The possibility of never returning home, never holding my wife again and never meeting my child.

"I am not afraid to die for my kingdom," Roren said as his grip tightened on the hilt of the sword he was sharpening.