The Rivalry Chapter 34

I stayed in the bath basin for longer than I had intended, I felt drained of all energy and it was exceedingly difficult to get myself to dress. Once I had, I slowly made my way into my chambers, ignoring the somber glances of the guards, as I climbed into my bed, welcoming its cool embrace.

I aimlessly stared at the wall, willing my eyes to close, becoming pleased when they felt heavy.

Her eyes were glowing a bright murderous red as she advanced towards me, a deadly cobra slithered around her shoulders, a poisonous threat.

"You will not escape me this time," she smiled, her face holding promise.

I tried to speak but I could not find my voice. I opened my mouth but could not utter a sound.

Her arm slowly reached behind her and when she brought it back she held a deadly blade in front of her face, turning it back and forth, the silver of it glinting in threat.

She walked slowly up to me, teasing me with her eyes. I tried to move but I found myself frozen, only able to watch her murderous advance.

"This is going to hurt, I promise you," she seethed as she ran her tongue over her teeth.

I tried with all of my might to move but I simply couldn't. Every fiber of my mortal being was screaming in terror, my mind racing more than it had ever before.

I closed my eyes as she slowly ran her blade down the length of my arm, a fire erupting where the blade pierced the skin. I tried to scream, to utter any sound but none would come out. I was trapped inside a shell of myself, allowed to feel the pain but not react.

She brought the blade up to her face, my crimson blood dripping off the end. I stared at her with terror filling my eyes, knowing this was a losing battle...I could not escape her this time.

I felt as though I might pass out as she ran the blade down my other arm in the same fashion. I wished I would lose consciousness, it would be a welcomed gift, but I would not be so lucky, of that much I knew.

I could feel my eyes pop open as she vehemently and suddenly shoved the blade into my abdomen. I felt a piercing pain rip through my entire body. My mind was screaming and I wanted more than anything to move, to scream, to do something rather than endure this hell in a powerless trance.

I could feel a bubbling sensation in my stomach, coming up through my chest and forcing its way along my throat. I began to choke. I felt as if though there was some sort of monster trying to push its way through my throat and out my mouth. Once the demon made its way to my mouth, it gripped my lips and pried them open, a blood curdling scream escaping my mouth.

I panicked as I screamed, gripping the sheets in my hands, shaking my head back and forth, trying to escape her. I couldn't get away, she was everywhere and everything I feared.

"Lynnae, shhhh! Please, please, it was but a dream," I heard Grant's smooth voice calm me.

I immediately began sobbing as I sat up, unable to catch my breath.

"Grant..." I whimpered.

"My love, you are safe, I am here," he said as he smoothed my sweat soaked hair from my forehead. He kissed my shoulder as I cried.

"I'm sorry, I do not know what has overcome me," I apologized as I shook my head, looking into his eyes.

"You are not the one who should apologize, it is I. I allowed her to come here, I had no idea she was capable of such evils," Grant said as he hugged my trembling body close to his.

"Has she been dealt with?" I asked, hoping with all of my remaining strength that I might get a favorable answer.

"Unfortunately, no. She has escaped, I do not know where she has gone," he whispered in anguish.

I squeezed my eyes shut as I buried my face into his neck.

"I have a small fleet of the best trackers in the kingdom after her, they will find her. I will not leave your side until they accomplish said task," he cooed.

"Thank you. I have been so terrified with you gone."

"Do not worry, I am here now," he whispered into my hair. "You must rest, it has been an exhausting time."

I gently lay back and snuggled close into his side, not wanting to be separated from him in any aspect.

With him I felt safe from the horrors that have been bestowed upon me.

***

"What do you mean you have failed, why is she still alive?!" I barked at the returning trackers.

"Please, my King, let us explain. We hardly got out alive," the tallest of the men said in a rush.

"Explain yourselves. Give me a reason why I should not dispose of each and every one of you incompetent fools," I voiced in a rage.

"We picked her trail up easily enough and followed it. She crossed the border and went into the Western lands of Armarock. She moved quickly and with purpose, she knew where she was going. She absolutely had a destination in mind. We followed her for days - we followed her to the seaside," the man explained.

"Armarock is her homeland, it would only be natural for her to try to seek refuge there. She grew up on the coast. That is not out of character in any way. That does not explain why you failed so," I said, pinching the bridge of my nose between my fingers. The trackers had been gone a fortnight in attempts of slaying the vile beast of a woman I once trusted - and they came back empty handed.

"Sir, that is not the disturbing part. She knew we would follow her and she was prepared. I fear she had been communicating with her homelands and negotiating some sort of riot, because when we arrived she turned on us and ambushed. She had a fleet of soldiers behind her and told us to come back bearing this warning. Soldiers from her homelands and people who oppose the merger of the kingdoms. She tells us she has an entire army behind her command and they are willing to overturn the entire countryside to see the end of this reign. She wants power, sire. She will not stop until she has succeeded in getting the throne," the man said, his voice steady.

"It cannot be," I said, completely astounded. "Impossible."

I started pacing the length of my private study. It made sense now. She had become so distant as of late, ever since the communal of the kingdoms. She has been setting up an army to overthrow me.

"I'm afraid not, my king. There have been more and more weary and disgruntled men - both from the north and south, who were willing to join her. She has been recruiting the entire countryside behind your back," the man said as he looked down.

"Her army, how large is it?" I asked now, very seriously.

"From what I understand, it is quite sizable. We stopped in many towns on our way back, inquiring about any gatherings of soldiers. It appears she has drafted as many men as possible from every city and village in the west as well," he explained. "People from neutral lands who were easily bought for alliance. Even so, with an army of the size we have, now that we've combined forces, she should not be a huge issue."

"You understand what this means, men," I said with a fierce gaze, my body beginning to thrum with adrenaline.

"I'm afraid so, your highness."

"We must go to war," I whispered with ferocious venom. "You are excused men, I will tell Roren and the rest of the militia later. As for now, I must speak to my wife."