The Rivalry Chapter 7

I awoke early the next day as Vivian was preparing my bath. As I undressed and stepped into the basin of steaming hot water when it hit me. The dream. I remembered it. It seemed so clear but yet so unreal. There was no way he could have been in my chambers. My face became hot with embarrassment when I thought back to the tender moment my imagination had created. My mind kept wandering to one thing that refused to go away.

Grant.

I wanted to see him again soon, probably more so than I should. He was unlike anybody I had ever met, he was a complete and utter mystery to me and very difficult to read. It was slightly unsettling because I had acted completely out of character when I had first met him, giving away much more of myself than I should have.

Soon, I was dressed and ready for what the day had to offer. I had decided I would pay my cousin and dear friend Kathryn a visit. Her family lived in the west side of the town surrounding the palace known as Shelisaere. Shelisaere was a safe place to live and I was often times granted permission to walk the streets alone to visit Kat. I usually just wore plain gowns and no lavish jewelry, as well as a thin, silken wrap that covered my hair and half of my face. Many women wore them as a fashion but usually the town was so bustling and busy, nobody stopped to pay any attention to me as I just appeared like any other woman. Other times when I was with my parents, adviser or anybody else, I would leave my face exposed, wear a small tiara and one of my finer gowns. It made my mother just sick in the stomach when I wore plain garb into the town. A princess should always dress as a princess, but she agreed that if I was to go alone, being less noticeable was necessary.

In not too long an amount of time I had permission and found myself roaming through the market of Shelisaere. I loved the market. There were always very vast amounts of numerous items being sold. I walked up to my favorite stand, it mostly held trinkets and old jewelry.

"Hello Jerrica," I smiled at the stand owner.

"Why hullo Lynn!" Jerrica winked at me. She knew who I really was, but she would never cause a commotion by announcing it.

"A number of nice things today," I murmured, looking over the various items.

"You tell'n me! Nobod' bought a sing'l thing!" she laughed her raspy voiced laugh.

I saw something small and shiny that I had never seen before.

"Jerrica, what's this? It's gorgeous," I said, picking up a pendant necklace, a small green emerald.

"Yes tis! Tha'n there's 10 silver."

"Oh...I must have forgotten some coins," I said, patting the pockets of the throw I was wearing over my gown. "Oh well, maybe some other time." She would have just given it to me if I had only asked.

Just then, I thought I had heard somebody whisper my name. Turning around, I looked to see who might have noticed me. Looking around, I saw nobody who was paying me any particular attention.

"See you Jerrica." I waved and hurried away, hoping to shake the eerie feeling that was settling in my stomach.

I smiled as I heard Jerrica's voice behind me, "Ey! You there lad, you look'n like you ought to buy a pretty lady someth'n! Ere, ere!"

I turned down the next alley and soon I was knocking on Kathryn's door. I heard a voice from inside and I saw my favorite cousin's head pop through the open door.

"Lynnae!" she squealed as she gave me a hug. I laughed and hugged her enthusiastically back, it had been much too long.

"I've missed you Kat!" I said as I pushed my head wrap down and kissed her quickly on the cheek. She grabbed my hand and took me inside, ignoring the wide open door, to which I saw her mother Claire get up and shut, giving me an apologetic look. I had to laugh again as Kat kept tugging me all through their medium sized home, into her quarters.

"So, what's the news? I didn't get to go to the ball! I was simply devastated, I swear mother is out to get me. I've been all locked up in here the last fortnight! All I did was partake in ONE game of dice with the men in the tavern and they were friendly! Rubbish, simply rubbish, especially since I won. Anyway, have you met any men? I want to know all about it Lynnae. Come on, speak!" I smiled at her, she's nothing but a ball of energy sometimes. She was a very level headed girl usually, though it has been much too long since we've seen each other, which was my fault undoubtedly.

"One question at a time, cousin!"

"Ok. How was the ball?" She asked with wide eyes.

"The usual. Eating. Talking. Dancing," I said feigning disinterest.

She rolled her eyes in boredom. "Did you actually stay for the duration of it?"

"I was forced to. My mother threw the ball for me, in hopes I would meet a man," I explained, my mind instantly turning to Grant. I could feel my cheeks warming already.

"Have you met any men yet?" she asked.

"Yes, actually."

"Tell me!" she said squeezing my hand, getting even more excited, this was not something we usually talked about. I never had any news of a man.

"Well, Roren. He's very sweet and nice, level-headed, and attractive. About our age, though I don't like his attitude towards the rivalry," I said, shaking my head.

"The rivalry? Pish Posh! He's sweet and attractive you say? Maybe he can crack your shell," she winked at me. I had never let any man close to me. I couldn't say the same about Kathryn, she had had the same suitor for nearly a year now and I envied her greatly, everybody knew they would soon get married, as soon as he had the courage to ask.

"There's also--" she cut me off.

"Also?? You mean there's more than one?" she said, in awe.

"Yes. Grant. He's the other. He's unlike anybody I have ever met in my life," I said.

She just stared at me, so I took it as a note to continue.

"He's dangerously charming, he could get his way from anybody with just a look of his eyes. He has sharp features and very dark hair and a dazzling smile. Oh Kathryn, if only you could have been there to see it. He kissed me!" I said, falling onto my back onto her bed exasperated.

"Lynnae. You seem to be quite stricken with this Grant."

"Nonsense! I've only seen him but once," I said, blushing.

"You let him kiss you."

"It was only upon my forehead...I couldn't have stopped him if I wanted to, I couldn't move. I had the oddest dream last night too," I said in a whisper.

"You had a dream of him?" she said, surprised.

"Yes. Well I assume it was of him, I couldn't see him. The man in my dreams was standing behind me, caressing me in the sweetest way, " I turned to her.

She gave me a smile.

"Darling, you know what to do."

"I do not! I am simply lost," I whined.

"You're a beautiful, smart girl. I think you can figure it out."

"Kat! I have no experience what so ever! Help me," I begged.

"There is no advice to be given. Follow your heart for once, Lynnae. You are constantly trying to please others. Do something for you. Do something for Lynnae, not for the kingdom, not for the rivalry, not even for your mother and father."

"But...Kat...I don't think I can do that," I said. How could I not think of the kingdom? I would be Queen some day. How could I not think of the rivalry, of my parents?

I sighed and slapped my hands down on the bed.

"Consider it, please. You're going to be in your thirtieth year by the time you are in your twentieth. If you understand what I mean."

I sneered at her. She was right but what could I do about it. I knew what I wanted to do. But was it the correct thing to do? I had no idea. I had never expected to have the choice to be with somebody I actually wanted to get to spend more time with and now that I did, I was afraid of it. This was more difficult than I ever thought it would be.