The Rivalry Chapter 4

"You wanted to see me at half past the hour?" I asked my mother, as I entered her quarters.

"Yes, there are some arrangements coming up that are very important to you."

"And they would be....?" I inquired, eyeing the maid who brought in two cups of tea.

"We are going to hold a ball, which is for you, of course. Men from all around the kingdom will be attending. You will be on your best behavior. I expect you will actually make some effort in trying to find at least one possible gentleman, you are a beautiful girl Lynnae, I have no doubt you will be getting vast amounts of attention."

"Do you need something," I raised an eyebrow at the maid, who was still just standing there, staring dumbly. I didn't recognize her, she must have only recently been added to the staff. We have numerous staff and I could never know them all - but the ones allowed direct access to my family and I are a select few.

"Oh, no, I'm sorry My Lady" she said and quickly exited, stumbling as she went.

"That was odd. Can you place that accent? She did not sound from around here. Anyways, must we have a ball? I've asked Sir Roren to return to the palace tomorrow, we're going riding," I said, hoping in vain that it would be enough to cancel this ball, which would surely be ghastly.

Numbers upon numbers of men, ranging in ages, will all be lined up to speak to me, most of which don't have the faintest idea of what to say to a young woman, let alone someone with my stature.

"That pleases me to no end but you could quickly change your mind and if I know you, you will pick this young man apart until you find a flaw and then you will throw him back. And we would be back where we begun. I don't approve, however, of you riding. It is very uncouth for a woman of your presence and should only be performed sidesaddle when necessary, not to mention it is not safe. I don't know what your infatuation with that big brute of an animal is," she said, clicking her tongue.

There are so many rules. I am supposed to represent grace, elegance, beauty, power, discipline, and knowledge. So many things I shouldn't do because it's not lady like, it's not something a royal should do and it's not the proper conduct of a princess. I must always be in the royal state of mind. So badly I just wanted to let loose. I wanted to rip the tiara out of my hair. I wanted to take the expensive jewels off my wrists, fingers, and neck. I wanted to scream at the top of my lungs, laugh freely, and talk to whomever I wish whenever I wish; I wanted to breathe, to do things I would never be expected.

I sighed.

"When is this ball?"

"Three days less of a fortnight," she said and briskly got up. "I have to speak to your father to fine tune the details," and with that she left.

I sighed again, looking down at my hands; delicate hands, soft and smooth, no calluses, no scars, no marks, no blemishes what so ever, even my nails are always perfectly curved by my maidens, evidence of my pampered life was everywhere.

*****

"I see you found the stable," I said, making Roren jump with a start.

"Oh, yes. I've only just arrived though. I wasn't sure whether to meet you here, or at the palace courtyard. Though it seems that has worked itself out," he said, giving a bow.

"Yes, are you prepared to go?" I asked, notifying Lance, the stable hand, to get Arcadia and Kent. I could just hear mother's nagging voice about the bottom of my skirts being dirtied by the stall dirt.

"Where are we going?"

"Well, I usually ride down to the lake, a beautiful vista, it's not too long a ride," I said, smiling, as Lance tried to settle Cade's saddle on him and then my attention turned to the large brown and white horse next to him; Kent.