The Rivalry Chapter 28

The days moved quickly and it was only a fortnight until my twentieth birthday. Things had begun to transition over smoothly in the lands. Aeryan traders were in Nevaria and Nevarian traders had traveled to Aerya. I sometimes even saw travelers, not just merchants, from the opposite kingdom in the towns on occasion.

We had made two more trips to Nevaria and every time I was infatuated with the townsfolk. Alejandra was becoming a close friend and Hannah was of course as full of news and chipper as always.

Grant and I were still well. I had become a little shyer ever since his confession but only because I hadn't told him I loved him back. I do love him but I couldn't say it yet, though I want to and I would, soon. It's difficult for me to speak how I feel...this entire ordeal has been an inner battle for me since the beginning and I wasn't sure if it was completely won. I know he understands and he hasn't once faltered in his actions or seemed disappointed in any way.

I had a visit from the doctor a few weeks after the news of my child bearing and he confirmed that the likelihood of me ever having a child was very slim, if none. I went into a state of shock for what seemed like a very long time; Grant was with me every step. I owed everything to that man. He kept me strong and helped me accept the situation. I had come to terms eventually, with this fate, and Grant and I had decided that when the time comes, we would together decide on an heir.

"I think that a masquerade would be a wonderful idea for a ball, especially since it is your birthday," my mother said with a hint of excitement.

I laughed and nodded, "I agree, that would be fabulous, I'll go to Mira and find a dress and mask."

"Oh, wonderful! I'll send out the news!" my mother said as she clapped her hands together and hurried off to another room.

A short while later I was standing in Mira's room, looking at myself in awe.

"I don't know how you manage it," I whispered.

"I only make the dress, you give it the presence darling," she said as she held an extravagant beaded mask in front of my face.

The satin dress itself was the purest white I had ever seen. It had no straps and tightly hugged my figure until my lower back, where it slightly poufed out and a train trailed behind it several feet. The back of the dress was cut low, where the laces tied together tight enough, making a corset unnecessary, thankfully. The skirt was gathered which gave it a luxurious wavy, elegant feel. The bodice and skirt both had intricate designs in shimmering silver beads.

The mask was light silver with a stunning beaded design and a silver butterfly for decoration on one side, and it had magnificent white feather plumage on the top.

The attire was absolutely stunning and I couldn't help but feeling as if I glowed in this gown.

"Thanks again Mira, you always amaze me!" I hugged her as I walked out of the room and back into my chambers after changing.

"I just drew your bath, My Lady," Vivian said quietly as I entered the room.

"Oh, perfect! That sounds great, thank you," I smiled as I walked into the powder room.

I entered the bath not a second after my gown fell to the floor, a nice hot bath was just what I needed to soothe my muscles and calm my mind. I hadn't seen Grant all day and I'd been with my mother, going over negotiations with towns and lands and sectors and to be honest, I was exhausted.

I laid in the bath until it was cool and still then I slowly pulled myself out and slipped on a nightgown. I opened the door that entered back into my chambers and saw that Grant had entered the room, and was what appeared to be, asleep on the bed.