The Rivalry Chapter 32

"Vivian, do you ever plan to marry?" I asked her as she prepared my bath.

"Oh, well, I think that I'd like to...but I could never leave your service," she said softly.

"Nonsense. I am capable of doing such things by myself, I could manage. And, you would always be welcome to stay, if you want, of course you know that," I smiled and suddenly a thought popped into my head.

"Viv, do you trust me?" I asked, a mischievous grin tugging at my lips.

"Of course, your highness, with my life," she said as she turned to me, giving me a puzzled look.

"Wonderful. Can you meet me here at 6 this evening?"

"Yes, Lynnae. I'd be honored," she said before she left to clean my room and get out a gown while I bathed.

After my bath and dressing I hurried outside to the training grounds, with one target on my mind. I scanned the numerous men who were practicing, in hopes of finding their superior.

I grinned when I spotted that familiar blond head bobbing through the men, correcting their stances and showing them techniques.

"Roren!" I called and waved, a silly grin plastered on my face. His face lit up as he saw me and he trotted quickly over.

"Hello, my lady, how do you do?" He asked as he bowed slightly.

"Wonderful. I would be even better if you could oblige me by meeting in the main hall tonight at 6, I've got someone I'd love for you to meet," I said as I looked over his shoulder and immediately locked eyes with an intense green pair and I involuntarily shivered.

"Oh, well, yes, I believe I can do that. Is there anything else?" He asked politely, but I could tell he was anxious to get back to the men.

"One thing, actually. How long has Lex been in your residence?" I asked, trying to ignore the vehement glare coming from her.

"She has just arrived, lady. She said she has come to learn under my hand, though she already seems as skilled as I. You do not mind?" He questioned.

"No, no of course not. It is just a surprise, that is all. I will let you get back to your men, thank you Roren, I will see you tonight," I said as I spun on my heel, on edge just from the sight of Lex. Things have been unsettled between us since the first time we met.

********

"Oh Lynnae! This is too much, I cannot wear this," Vivian exclaimed as she held up a gown I had given her.

"Please do, it will look lovely on you," I said as I pushed the elegant blue gown back towards her.

"What is this all about, if I may ask?" She said as she hugged the gown to her chest.

"There is somebody I'd like for you to meet," I smiled and nodded enthusiastically.

"And it is imperative that I wear a beautiful gown as such?" She eyed me warily.

"It is not imperative, but you will thank me after," I giggled.

She whined, not completely understanding what was going on as I shooed her into the powder room to change. She came out minutes later, holding it to her chest, her cheeks aflame.

"I cannot tie it by myself..." She said quietly.

"I did not expect you to! Here, let me help you," I said as I motioned with my finger for her to turn around. I tied the laces tight and smiled when I saw the ending result. The gown fit her very well.

"Alright, it is nearly time, let us go!" I smiled as I ushered her out of my chamber and down to the main hall.

I could feel excitement welling up in me as I saw that Roren was already waiting in the hall when we reached it, and I could hardly stifle my laughter when Vivian gave me a horrified look. She understood what was going on now.

"Hello Roren," I smiled.

"Hello your highness," he said as he kissed my hand. "Hello, my lady," he said as he shyly picked up Vivian's hand and kissed it as well.

"H-Hello," Vivian stuttered back.

"Alright, well, unfortunately, I must leave. I had an appointment tonight that I had simply forgotten about until just now," I said briskly, about to make my escape when Vivian stopped me.

"What?! Where are you going to?" She asked desperately, she was nervous, I could see it in every fiber of her being.

"I must find my mother to explain some important issues," I lied. "I trust that you will still try to enjoy your evening, yes?" I asked as I looked back and forth between them.

"Oh, most certainly, your highness, thank you," Roren said as he bowed and I turned to leave, a wide smile on my face.

Instead of walking back towards my mother's chambers, I decided to take a walk to the library that was on the other end of the palace. People hardly ever went in there but I found it was always a nice place to get away for a while.

I was walking down the abandoned halls when I started, hearing a voice behind me.

"Well, there you go again, always meddling in relationships where you don't belong."

I sucked in my breath as I turned around to see Lex casually leaned back against the wall.

"I beg your pardon?" I asked, trying to remain calm, but my eyes couldn't help wander to the dagger she wore on her thigh.

"You heard me, you wench. You are always getting into business you don't belong in," she seethed as she laid her hand among the sheath holding her deadly blade.

"I'm sorry for whatever I have done that has been an inconvenience to you," I said stiffly, trying to keep my royal reserve.

"Inconvenience?!" She wailed, making me jump. She flew from the wall and was now inches from me. "You call what you've done an inconvenience?! You have ruined everything! You took Grant from me. He was supposed to be with me. Not some little princess from the enemy lands. You are the enemy. And now look at what has become of my kingdom!" She said, her words dripping with hate.

"It was never your kingdom to decide what to do with," I said back, sharply.

I could see that this comment upset her more, because her eyes narrowed and she took a deep breath.

"It would have been, if you wouldn't have meddled your way and bewitched Grant with your idiocies. He loved me before," she said as she pulled out her dagger, gently fingering the blade.

"I have nothing more to say, Lex. Excuse me, please," I said as I tried to push passed her but was rudely stopped when she grabbed my hair and yanked me back, pushing me against the wall, her blade pressed against my abdomen.

"I'm sorry, I can't let you leave. I failed the first time. I should have just done it myself, but I knew there would be suspicions with the transition so fresh."

My eyes popped open wide as I registered what she was saying. My attacker. It was her fault.

"That's right, little queen. Your attacker, the one who failed to finish the job, was one of my men. It was all but too easy to convince him to do it," She smiled wickedly, her eyes darting left and right like that of a crazed being. "But you see, it's going to be different this time, oh yes, much different. That would have been murder, but this...suicide. Nobody would have seen it coming. Innocent, perfect little Lynnae, but so troubled inside. It's perfect you see. And don't you worry, I've got a story fabricated so seamless it will be impossible not to believe."