The Rivalry Chapter 29

"Alright men, today I want to talk about locks and grabs," Grant said to the line of soldiers standing behind him. I was sitting in the shade of a tree, enjoying some plums as I watched the training session.

"First question, what is a lock?" Grant asked. The men murmured among themselves and then shook their heads.

"A lock is when you get your opponent in a position where it is impossible for them to move, Roren, come, we'll demonstrate," he said as he waved Roren over.

"For instance, there is an arm bar," Grant said as he twisted Roren's arm behind him. "If he wants to move, his arm will break, to which his pain will cause a hesitation long enough for you to completely incapacitate him."

"There is also a wrist lock," he said before he demonstrated this again. "And a foot lock," he said before he swooped down and grabbed Roren's foot and twisted his ankle slowly, so he didn't hurt him, but it got the general idea across.

"The idea in hand to hand combat is to strike early, be the first one to attack before your attacker reaches you. If you can successfully do this, you might be able to end the encounter easily. But assuming that your attacker makes it past your initial offensive, you still have to stop the attack, correct?" he asked in an authoritative voice. The men nodded.

"In this case, which is almost always, you need to resume the fight until you can gain control with a lock. Once you have a lock in place, you can prevent a follow up attack by the opponent and clearly you get the upper hand."

"Now, if you can't get the first hit on an opponent and they manage to grab you, it's the perfect time to get them into a lock. If they grab you, they aren't hitting you, which is a plus. Hits are quick, grabs are slow and easier to deal with. Grabs also often expose hands for finger locks and it is very easy to convert a grab to a lock where you have the upper hand, Roren," he said as he beckoned Roren over again.

"Grab me, and I'll demonstrate," Grant instructed.

I held my breath, hoping nobody would get hurt.

Both of the men took a fighting stance, and Roren flew at Grant, and quickly grabbed at his arms. Grant automatically twisted Roren's arm around his back and bent it to a degree. The next time they did it, Grant let Roren grab him, and he managed to bend Roren's fingers just enough so that he lost his grip, allowing Grant to strike. It was amazing watching him work.

"That'll be all I have. Roren, have them practice that. Remember, always be quick and efficient." He instructed before he walked over to me, offering his hand. I gingerly took it as he helped me to my feet.

"Enjoy yourself?" He asked with a casual smirk.

"Somewhat. I feared for Roren though, I thought you were going to break his arm," I laughed.

"Oh, no. This is just training, though sometimes I fear I'd like to break his arm because of how he looks at you," he said as his eyes narrowed.

"Nonsense!" I laughed and playfully nudged into his arm. "He's harmless."

"Yes, I suppose," he sighed as he wrapped an arm around my waist. "I can't blame him, you are by far the most beautiful woman in all of these lands," he said before planting a kiss on my forehead.

I blushed and shook my head. "You are obliged to say that, my king."

"Nay, I am obliged to be your loyal king and husband. But your beauty has stricken me from the beginning, it is what has captured my heart and named you my love," he said as squeezed me gently.

I smiled up at him and he returned it.

"Are you ready for the ball tomorrow?" I asked as we walked back to our chambers.

"Damnation, I forgot to see Mira, this past fortnight has gone so quickly, I'll be back soon," he said as he kissed my cheek and ran off down the hallway, I smiled and shook my head as I prepared for the night.

*******

I awoke early the next morning to find the other side of my bed empty, but where Grant should have been laying, there was three long stemmed red roses, a small wooden box and a note.

"My Queen,

I had to be out early this morning, you looked so peaceful I could not bring myself to rouse you. I won't see you until the ball tonight. I hope you'll do me the pleasure of wearing this tonight. I hope I am the first to say, Happy Birthday, my love.

~ Grant"

I smiled as I smelled the roses, and looked questioningly at the small box. I opened it and gasped when I saw the most beautiful crystal bracelet I had ever seen. Small and delicate, it was silver with crystals all the way around. I stood up just as I heard a knock on the door and Vivian came in.

"Oh my, that's gorgeous," she cooed as she saw the scene on the bed and I held up the bracelet and her eyes got large.

"That man loves you," she smiled at me and I nodded, feeling overwhelmingly overjoyed. Today was going to be successful, I already knew it, I could feel it down to my core. I delicately put the bracelet back in its box and set it on the jewelry table before following Vivian into the powder room for a bath.

I relaxed as she quietly massaged my hair with fine shampoos and scents as she usually did before an evening with a certain high merit, such as tonight.

"Did you ever imagine you would end up this way, with him, I mean?" She asked quietly.

"Never. Things have worked out to be so absolutely wonderful," I sighed and stood up as she held out a towel to me.

"You are a lucky woman, My Lady," she said as she walked out of the room. I put on a simple gown for the day and I would change into my ball gown later, but for now I was going to go to Reuben and make another dessert for Grant, as a small thank you to his outstanding gift.

"Reuben?" I asked as I entered the kitchen.

"Lynnae! Yes, yes! Welcome, how can I help?" He asked as he wiped off his hands on his apron.

"Breakfast of hot cakes and a dessert?" I asked with a smile. He nodded and pointed to my apron that hung on the wall. I heartily bounded over to it, pulled it over my head and fastened the ties behind me.

"Here darling, mix the batter as I get the stove and juice ready," he said as he handed me a large bowl and wooden spoon.

I set the bowl on the counter and started mixing the ingredients in the bowl for a few moments.

"Stove is ready!" He bellowed from the range. "Mix is ready!" I hollered back happily as I walked over and handed him the bowl.

"What dessert were you thinking for today?" he asked as he applied the mix to the pan with precision.

"I was thinking maybe a raspberry tart?" I asked hopefully.

"Ahh, but of course, you know what to do, your food will be ready among your return," he smiled, ushering me outside.

I happily walked to the raspberry bushes and collected numerous handfuls in my apron and entered the kitchen again, it smelled wonderful.

I emptied my gatherings into a bowl on the counter and sat down where my food was waiting. I smiled as I saw fresh apple juice, strawberries, and my hot cakes had specs in them that I knew would be small pieces of chocolate that Reuben slipped in there as he had when I was younger.

"Happy Birthday, Lynnae. Enjoy your breakfast, I'll make the tart," he smiled.

"Thank you."

A few minutes and a full belly later, Reuben presented me with an appetizing looking raspberry tart. He put it on a pretty glass platter and covered it in a white towel.

"Here you are, darling, enjoy your day," he said as he shooed me out and I laughed and went back to my chambers.

I left the tart on the end table where he would surely see it, with a note.

"Thank you for the bracelet, it's beautiful. I'll be waiting for you tonight; I'll be the one in white.

Love, Lynnae."