The Rivalry Chapter 16

My eyes snapped open. What time is it? I sat up and it was still dark out. I stretched my right arm out slowly and I was surprised to find that the other side of the bed was empty. I waited for my eyes to adjust and scanned the room. I furrowed my brows in confusion when I saw Grant sleeping in the chair on the other side of the room. I hung my head in shame. He did not want to sleep in the bed, because he thought I wouldn't want him to. I sucked in my breath as his arm jerked once in his sleep, he was restless. I slowly stood up and tip toed over to him. I extended my arm and softly touched his hand.

"Grant," I said quietly. His eyes slowly opened and he looked up at me.

"What is it? Is something wrong??" he asked, standing up automatically, his body tensing. That was when I started blushing, he was bare-chested. Of course, many men don't sleep with their night shirts on. I shouldn't be so startled. I couldn't help but notice that his chest was very muscular and his abdomen was clearly defined. I blushed as I looked into his eyes.

"Nothing is wrong," I whispered.

"Why did you wake me? Surely something is wrong," he said, more awake now.

"I'm sorry for rousing you. I just woke up...and you weren't there with me," I said, embarrassed. "It's just...would you like to sleep in the bed?"

"Oh, it's ok. I didn't know if it was appropriate, I know that you--"

I cut him off. "I want you to. I mean, you shouldn't have to sleep in the chair. It is your bed as much as it is mine. I had better get used to sharing it," I said, surprised with myself. I smiled and waved him over as I walked over to my side of the bed and lay down. My heart started to thud heavily as I felt the other side of the bed weigh down underneath him.

"Goodnight Lynnae."

"Goodnight Grant."

I opened my eyes to a very light day. I woke up late. I was surprised Vivian had not woken me yet. And then I realized that it was the first night of Grant and my being King and Queen. She would have made assumptions. I blushed. I was lying on my side, pressed up against Grant, who was lying on his back. His arm was underneath me and it was curled around, his hand rested on my side. I moved slightly, trying to put some space between us, but his arm tightened around me and drew me closer. I sucked in my breath and his head slowly turned towards me as he smiled and opened his eyes.

"Good morning." I heard his bell voice ring.

"Thank you and good morning to you as well," I smiled, trying not to let my voice falter.

"Did you sleep well?" He asked.

"Yes, much better than the past few nights. I'm glad it's over." I sighed.

"Half over, we still must go to back to Nevaria."

"When?" I asked, scared.

"As soon as we can."

"Well...I'll tell mother, we can leave this afternoon, if you wish."

"I think I'd like to spend a day in...our kingdom first, actually. Would you do me the honors as to show me around the town surrounding the palace?" he asked, his eyes smoldering.

"Of course. We'll go to the market, it's one of my favorite places. Though you've been there before," I said, remembering when I went on a visit to see Kat and he had been there. That was the same day he bought the emerald necklace.

"Yes and that reminds me...I took your necklace and had it altered. I hope you won't mind. I brought it with me, if you'd like to see."

"Oh, yes please." I smiled and sat up.