The Rivalry Chapter 20

"Would you like to see some of my city today?"

"That would be lovely, yes," I said as I lay my head on his chest, listening to his steady heartbeat.

"My mother brought some gowns for you this morning, she was very happy to give them to you, I put them in the closet, you were still asleep," he said as he stroked my arm.

"Oh and I found the perfect maiden for you, I think you two will get along quite well. She's a little younger than you, but a very bright girl. She was ecstatic when I told her she would be your helper," he said, laughing at the image of the young girl. "She'll be here soon to be acquainted with you."

"Thank you," I said as I sat up and got out of bed.

As if on cue, there was a knock at the door.

"That must be her," Grant said as he stood up and opened the door.

"Hello Hannah." Grant greeted the young girl.

"Hullo! Oh! This must be her, I've heard that she was very beautiful but she puts the stories to shame. You are absolutely gorgeous my queen!" She said as she skipped over to me and gave me a hug.

"She is," Grant confirmed as he left the room.

"He's stunning, isn't he? You're so lucky," she said looking dreamily after where Grant left. I couldn't help but laugh, her giddiness was contagious.

"So! Let's get your hair done, what would you like to wear today? I will only be able to be here in the morning, I have private lessons in the evening, just so you're aware," she said walking to the closet. I picked out a dark blue dress. It was much like the one I had on yesterday, except it had small cuffs for sleeves. She ushered me to the wash tub and once I was out she braided my hair tightly, as she laced the back of my dress with no corset underneath, thankfully, those were only needed for "special occasions." The laces of the dresses from the passed two days laced so far down that they succeeded in impeding on my breathing anyways, and hugging my body like a glove. Once my dress was done, she unbraided my hair, which now had a more powerful wave to it. She braided the top half and let the waves cascade down my back.

"Thank you Hannah, it's lovely," I smiled. She squealed happily and left the room. I went back into the master suite, the one I abandoned in the middle of the night to join Grant. I found Grant lying on the bed, waiting for me. Once he saw me, he jumped up and walked up to me. His eyes roamed my body and I felt the heat pool under my cheeks.

"Are you prepared to go?"

"Yes," I replied. We were going down to the city of Crestwick, it was the city that surrounded his palace.

It took us only minutes to get to the city. There were entertainers, jesters, dancers, and music makers. I liked the music the most, it was a very fast tempo and upbeat. Grant even got me to dance with him once. It was an amazing feeling when he twirled me around him and dipped me quickly. He was very graceful and a very impressive dancer. It was such a contrast to the time we last danced. I laughed so greatly I lost my breath for a time and had to sit down. He shared jokes and stories with many of the villagers and they all seemed to absolutely adore him. Many of the women came up to me and introduced themselves and the men would give me their name and kiss my hand as a farewell. My heart swelled every time a stranger gave me a warm smile. I was even surprised to find out that a caravan of travelers was going to go down to the market in Shelisaere. It made sense, now that we were one kingdom, I just had not expected it to happen so quickly. They said they had always wanted to see what it was like there and now was the perfect opportunity. I was sure some of the people from the market in Shelisaere would also travel here. That excited me, we were actually getting an opportunity to join. The people would begin to mix, which was what we needed.

"I am exhausted!!" I huffed as I fell backwards onto the bed that night.

"It was a very exciting day. You dance very well my little firebrand," he laughed as he took off his over shirt, leaving a thin white one beneath.

I sat up and smiled. "You are quite talented yourself." I jumped up off the bed and walked over to him. "Thank you for taking me," I said as I lay my hands on his chest and smiled genuinely at him. There was no fear in my heart. I was in an atmosphere of pure euphoric ecstasy. The day had gone extremely well and I was radiant.

"I'm pleased you enjoyed yourself," he said as I turned around and pulled my hair to the side.

"Can you untie my gown?" I said quietly. I felt his hands on my strings. He loosened the first few, but left the bottom ones snug, no doubt because of my reaction from the first time he helped me undress. I thanked him and walked to the closet. I changed into my nightdress, it snugly hugged my body and was shorter than the ones I was used to, the hem sat just above the knee.

As I walked out I noticed that he too had changed. He was now only in silken black trousers. His mother gave me heaps of gowns and nightwear. All of the nightgowns were either black, red, purple or a deep blue and all of them were made of silk.

The night had gone very smoothly. I did not let my childish fears stand in my way. I was heavily attracted to Grant and that I could not deny. I hoped that someday I would be able to act upon that attraction.

I slowly walked up to him and I could see his eyes wander, watching my slow advancement. I stood in front of him and put my hands on his chest and he pulled me into him. "Thank you again. Tonight was incredible." I smiled and looked up at him. His eyes were gentle. He smiled back at me and brushed his lips against my forehead, my cheek, and my temple. I sighed lightly and closed my eyes. I opened them again to find his looking curiously into mine. I hesitantly reached out my hand and intertwined my fingers with his. He lifted our linked hands and kissed the back of mine lightly.

"Let us sleep," he whispered.

"Please," I chuckled lightly. I was exhausted and I didn't know how much longer I could last before I fell asleep.

The next few days went very smoothly. I spent a good amount of time with Alejandra. She was an incredibly nice and wise woman. Grant and I went to Crestwick often, I loved the atmosphere it held, with the music and the constant festivities. This place was beginning to grow on me, I enjoyed being here. Grant and I were getting along wonderfully. I was less often cringing when he was around me, and I tried to expel the horrible images I harbored in my mind. I was learning to trust him. It would take time before I could completely let go, but it now actually seemed possible.