The Rivalry Chapter 24

"Oh, I'll miss you! You must come back soon!" Hannah pouted and pulled on my hand as I went to leave the suite.

Grant and I were returning to Aerya today for the first time in over two fortnights. It would have been much sooner, if it wasn't for the accident. We had already made the announcement and everybody seemed to know, but Hannah couldn't help herself from attempting to get me to stay with her. Grant had picked three trusted advisers, all men I had never met but were close to him and his late father, that would overlook the palace while he was away and inform him of anything that happened that needed immediate attention.

"Hannah dear, I'll be back, enjoy your off time," I smiled as I pecked her cheek and walked away, catching up to Grant who was patiently waiting in the hall for me.

I sighed, preparing myself for the long ride that was to come.

Arcadia and Othello were already saddled and ready to leave when we reached the stables.

"How do you feel?" Grant asked me as I reached for a treat for Cade, before his long travels.

"I am well, thank you. It doesn't hurt so much anymore." I smiled at him.

"I hope the long travels won't be too bothersome."

"I am not worried," I said as I walked over to Othello, handing him a treat also.

"Of course you aren't, you are too stubborn to be worried," he laughed.

I enjoyed the warmth of the sun and cool spring breeze as we rode, it was very refreshing. We stopped at Bardonte, dismounting our horses to get the blood flow back in our legs. Many of the townsfolk knew who we were and many stared. They had heard of our joining, but didn't know whether to believe it true or gossip.

"My Queen! My Queen! Please, wait!" I heard a high pitched voice squeak as I turned to get some water for Cade from a shop-side trough.

I turned around and couldn't find the person who had spoken. Grant must not have heard the voice, because he was talking to the owner of the shop as Othello refreshed himself.

"My Queen!" I heard the voice again and this time I felt an accompanying tug at my skirts. I looked down and saw a little child looking up at me. She was at the most, seven years old, and her golden honey hair was tangled and matted, her face dirty.

"Hello there," I smiled as I bent down and kneeled so I could be level with the girl. "What is your name?"

"Rowan, My Lady," she said, suddenly shy.

"Very nice to meet you Rowan, I'm Lynnae." I smiled.

"I know," she giggled. "You're the one that saved my papa from having to go far away. We live in Tarontel, we came here for a holiday."

My heart swelled.

"Everybody knows who you are. And him!" she said and pointed up suddenly. I looked to see a smiling Grant looking down at us.

Grant bent down and picked Rowan up, she wrapped her arms around him securely and her big brown eyes were shining.

"Hello, Rowan."

"Well, you don't seem so scary," she said as she studied him.

"Pardon me?" he said as he laughed at her as she began to pick at his ears.

"Well aren't you the new King? The one we we are all supposed to be afraid of? Well, that's a bunch of tosh if you ask me. You don't seem so scary at all."

"How old are you, Rowan?"

"I'll be seven soon." She smiled.

"Well, here, take this as an early gift," he said as he handed her three gold pieces.