The Rivalry Chapter 33

I squeezed my eyes shut and took as deep a breath as I could. I had to act quickly. I thought back to all of the times I sat and watched Grant and Roren teach the men in training. Lex had her body pressed against mine, one hand on my throat, the other with the dagger pressed against my stomach.

Before I could even register what I was doing, my arm swooped down and knocked into her hand while I heaved all of my body weight forward, knocking her over. She grunted when she fell and I immediately started running. I kicked off my shoes, hoping to gain speed, but knowing my skirts were slowing me down.

I heard her curse and growl, and knew she was following me. I raced down the halls, panting, chest burning and mind racing. Where would I go to? I couldn't run to where any of the servants were, she would surely kill them as well.

I willed my legs to push me faster, to take me away from this crazed woman. I screamed out as I suddenly hit the ground with extreme force and I felt my abdomen scream in protest. No. Please not now.

I dared look behind me as I saw the reason to why I fell, Lex had grabbed onto my skirts and ripped an entire piece off. I kicked my legs and gagged as I heard a sickening crunch when my foot connected with her nose. I was relieved to see that the dagger wasn't in her hands and she was crumpled onto the ground - I actually had a chance.

I scrambled to my feet as fast as my body would allow and ran. I didn't look back and I could feel my adrenaline pumping me faster and farther and tears were streaming down my face unbridled.

I screamed out as I ran into something hard, another person. In my hysterics I automatically started beating on the chest of the person as they wrapped their arms around me. I thrashed and tried to get away, until I realized they weren't trying to harm me and then the voice accompanied with the body registered.

"Lynnae!! Oh god, what's happened?!" Grant said as he pulled me into his chest.

"It was her! She did this to me. She did it. She put him up to it, please, please don't let her come back for me again. Please take me away from this place, Please!" I wailed into his chest as my legs gave out and I sunk down. His strong arms picked me up and cradled me to his body as carried me with urgency.

"Grant! What's happened?!" I heard a servant ask moments later as he walked passed them. He didn't answer them, he just continued his walk and I kept my face buried in his strong chest.

Minutes later I was sitting on the edge of the bed in our chambers, still silently crying.

"Lynnae," I heard Grant's voice say strongly, pulling me back to reality.

I looked into his eyes as I trembled throughout. My hair a mess, my gown torn, tears streaming down my face.

"It was her, she was the one who put the attacker up to it," I whispered quietly before succumbing to another wave of tremors through my body.

"Who Lynnae? Who? Who has done this?" He asked as he tried to comfort me.

"Lex."

I watched his face stone over for a second before it lit aflame with rage. I let the tears continue to fall as he stood up.

"Stay here, I'll be back in a moment," he said quietly. I nodded and was instantly filled with fear as I was alone. But before I could truly be afraid, my door burst open and in came Grant accompanied by two guards who I saw often around the palace.

"They will stay with you until I can return. Do not go anywhere until I am back. I will attempt to make a hasty return. I love you, Lynnae," he whispered as he planted a kiss on my forehead.

I simply stared after him as he exited out the door, it clicking quietly behind him.

"Your highness, is there anything we may retrieve for you?" asked one of the guards.

I simply shook my head. My head cranked as I heard a soft knock at the door. The guards instantly went to the door.

"Who goes there?" They asked with their voices full of authority.

"Oh...Um. Vivian, the Queen's maiden."

"Let her in," I whispered.

"Vivian?" I asked.

"Yes, your highness?" She asked as she hurried over to me and knelt before me, her hands on my knees, her eyes locking with mine.

"Can you prepare a bath for me, please. I must wash before I turn in for the night."

"Of course, I'll be back in a moment."

I nodded absentmindedly. I couldn't get the face of Lex out of my mind. Her glare promising vicious intentions. I shuddered. She had come so close. She had got me alone, vulnerable.

"My Queen, it is ready," Vivian called from the powder room.

"Excuse me, men," I said to the guards as I went into the powder room to bathe.

I sighed as I slowly sank into the hot water, cherishing the feelings of life it brought to my cold and clammy skin. I whimpered as a tear slid down my face.

"I have never been so scared in my life," I whispered to Vivian, who was combing through my hair, trying to soothe me.

"I cannot imagine..." she purred.

"I was certain she was going to catch me. I was so terrified."

"Things are well now, your highness. You are here and you are safe. Grant will return to you soon," she assured.

"Yes," I nodded.