The Rivalry Chapter 5

The day of the ball was quickly approaching. Maids were fluttering about here and there, quickly walking up and down the halls, making the preparations. The ballroom was, I'm sure, going to be heavily decorated. The cooks in the kitchen were testing recipes, new and old, trying to figure out what to serve. There would be numerous tables set up in many different places, all filled with delectable treats.

I was on my way to my fifth gown fitting this week. My mother always attended, which was the reason I have yet to find the "perfect" attire. I would have picked the first one, for the sake of simplicity but when my mother has a say, nothing is simple.

The first gown was too "plain."
The second gown had too long of sleeves.
The third gown wasn't the right color for the occasion.
The fourth gown had a collar and my mother didn't like it.
I hoped this gown would finally please her.

I walked into one of the many rooms of the palace lent out to those employed within, this room happened to be the seamstress' room. The room was filled with piles upon piles of different silks, patterns, finished gowns, half finished gowns, things tossed abound here and there.

"I think I've finally found the perfect one for you. It was one of the ones I never planned on lending out but it would look lovely on you. I'd put it in one of my trunks in the closet, completely forgotten about," said the seamstress, Mira. She was short and plump, her hair was fiery red and thrown up into a messy knot on the top of her head.

Mere seconds later, she emerged from the closet, struggling to hold up the folds of fabric that were cascading over her arms, threatening to spill to the floor. She quickly fumbled her way over to a table and laid the gown on it. It was gorgeous. The dress was deep red, with the bodice completely decorated with jewels and the skirt was gathered with clusters of gems as well.

"It's superb," my mother said, grinning.

"Now, go try it on! Hup, hup!" said the short woman, shooing me to the powder room, following behind me so she could help me dress. It had no straps, the sheer tightness of the laces holding it up. I walked out of the room, showing mother.

"That's the one," said Mira, clapping her hands together.

"You look astonishing," my mother said, while placing a very thin choker of diamonds around my neck and one of my many diamond tiaras upon my dark chocolate hair.

"I will have these things brought to your room for tomorrow. Please, do get some rest Lynnae. I'd like you to look lively," said my mother, tapping me on the shoulder and leaving.

"Tomorrow..." I mumbled. The ball was tomorrow. Already I was mentally preparing for all the pairs of eyes that would be staring at me.

"Thank you so much, Mira. It's exquisite," I said minutes later, passing back out the door after changing back into my former gown.

*****

"You will behave. You will attempt to be social. You will find a suitor by your twentieth birthday. You will not just magically disappear like you have done so many times in the past. You will not be rude." I winced. "You will not talk back to the king. You will act like the princess I hope you to be," said my mother, tugging ferociously on the strings of my corset, once again.

I squeezed my eyes tightly shut, hoping her to be done soon, she was getting carried away. I knew to be on my best behavior, if I wasn't, I'd surely get a verbal lashing, an unnecessary one. I planned on finding a suitor, I knew the importance. I don't understand why she thinks me so ignorant. I had a hard time seeing why she didn't understand why I found finding a suitable suitor important.