The Rivalry Chapter 37

It seemed like it took mere seconds for us to arrive in the courtyard, for too soon I was clinging to him with tears threatening to spill.

"I will miss you so," I said as I struggled against my tightening throat.

"As will I, with you," he said as he locked eyes with me. "Please do not worry for me, we will rise to the top of this. I promise you."

I nodded, afraid that if I opened my mouth, a sob would escape. The men were all mounted on their horses, waiting for Grant to mount his as well and lead the expedition to gather the rest of the army.

"As much as it hurts me, I must leave now. I will return as soon as it is possible and I will send word when I know more of the situation. Be strong, my little firebrand," he said as he disregarded the men behind him and gathered me tightly in his arms, lifting me off the ground.

"I love you, I have loved you since the beginning," I whispered in his ear as I clung to him with all my strength as he put me back down upon the ground. "We will be waiting for you," I said as I smiled and lay a hand on my stomach.

I could see the emotion in his eyes as he put his hand over mine, pressing lightly on my stomach. He kissed me gently one more time before he turned from me and mounted Othello. It took all of my strength not to follow him, cling to him and beg him to stay, but I would not disgrace him and myself by doing so. I would play the part of the strong queen, proud of her army and her king, the queen who will patiently wait for their return.

He gave me one last look before he kicked Othello's sides and rode off, my heart riding off with him.

*******

"You told your husband of your condition before he left on his travels, I trust?" the tall, lanky man asked me as he pushed his glasses farther up upon his nose.

"Yes, yes of course," I agreed as I looked at my mother who was standing at the corner of the bed, absolutely beaming.

"Good, very good. This is wonderful news for you, I know what you had been told. The chances of you being with child were extremely small but you have defeated the odds," the doctor said with a smile.

"I do have one question," I said quietly. "Will the baby grow to be healthy? I have had pains ever since my accident and I fear that it will cause complications..."

"I have checked many things and I will give you a remedy to take for a couple weeks - it is a concoction of vitamins. I believe your child will be healthy, but if you have any fears through the process, be sure to let me know immediately. Of course you should meet with me every two fortnights for regular check ups," he said with a nod.

"I will, thank you so much," I smiled.

"Thank you, doctor," my mother said as she shook his hand before bidding him farewell.

My smile faded as I thought of Grant, wishing he could be here with me for this experience. He had been gone for only a few days but it has felt like decades.

"Lynnae, my daughter, do not stress yourself over the men, you are in a delicate place," she said as she sat next to me on the bed, rubbing my back.

"I try not to. It is a scary feeling, not knowing what is happening," I whispered.

"I understand, but things will be fine, I promise you that. I have a surprise to show you, I think you will be pleased," she said as she stood up, holding out her arms, ushering me to get up as well.

"A surprise? What is this about?" I asked as I smiled.

"I have secretly been working on this since I heard the news, I pray you like it," she said as she took my hand and led me to the chamber across from the one I occupied now.

"Open the door," she said as she smiled at me.

I raised my eyebrow as a sly grin crept onto my face. What has she been up to?

My mouth dropped open wide when I saw what lay inside the previously empty room. It was decorated in light hued paint colors, with a crib, changing table, dressers and vast numbers of toys and other infant necessities.

"Mother! You didn't?! You did all of this for us? You made us an infant's room? Oh, it is just fabulous!" I said as I swept my way across the room, running my hand along the smooth mahogany wood of the crib.

There was also a large bed in one side of the room where the chosen maiden, if needed, would stay at night.

"Oh mother, thank you so much. I cannot tell you how amazing this is," I said as I hugged her tight, my chest swelling.

"It was my pleasure, I am so elated for you," she cooed as she hugged me back.

"As am I," I heard a thundering voice boom from behind me.

"Oh father! It's simply wondrous!" I squealed as I ran up and hugged him tightly.

"Congratulations Lynnae, I am going to be the most proud grandfather there has ever been," he said as he rubbed my back. My eyes started to tear up at the thought of the man who raised me, watching me raise my own young.

"Thank you, everything has been so surreal as of late," I smiled.

*******

"Vivian, how are you? You seem quiet this passed while?" I asked as she came to visit me in the afternoon. I had begun to request her company, since Grant was gone and I started to feel lonely.

"I am well, though I fear I share some of your feelings of this war," she said quietly as she sat down in the loveseat next to me.

"It is Roren?" I asked, smiling to myself.

"Yes, madam. We have grown close over these last weeks, I fear terribly for him," she said, wringing her hands nervously in her skirts.

"Please do not worry too much. We shall keep each other company to keep our idle minds busy. We have a little one coming, there are many preparations that must be made," I said as I smiled, rubbing my stomach.

"I look forward to that. Have you heard any word yet?"

"Unfortunately, no. It has been three weeks and I fear I've heard nothing. I find it quite troublesome...," I trailed off, attempting to ignore the sinking feeling in my chest.

Why had I not heard from him yet? Had something awful happened? He has been gone three weeks. Three weeks I have slept in a cold bed, without the touch and love of my husband, not so much as a breeze of news from him and it terrified me. I felt myself growing more and more upset every day, more tense the longer I went without news.

My mind couldn't help but wander to all of the awful possibilities. What if they were losing the battle? What if many men have been lost already? What if he was laying injured somewhere and he ordered the men to continue without him? Would he fight to come home to his wife and growing child? Would he give up if he was injured? What if he was killed in the battle?

I had to jerk myself from my own thoughts...if I didn't, I would surely lose my sanity. I missed him more every day, I felt as if every day that passed was months, and every night without him, I shivered at the cold sheets and feeling of loneliness that inhabited them.