The Rivalry Chapter 30

"Alright, My Lady. You're ready, and if I might say, you look absolutely stunning tonight."

"Thank you, Vivian," I said before she left.

I had my gown on, which fit me perfectly, the bracelet Grant gave me, my mask was on and it accentuated my green eyes, my lips were a deep red and my hair was pinned half up adorned with a tiara with tight curls cascading down my shoulders. I smiled at my reflection and started walking towards the ballroom.

I could hear the music halfway down the hall and once I reached the doors, the guards knocked loudly on the outside and the music stopped. I smiled and entered once they opened the doors.

I couldn't ignore the gasps I heard, and the wide eyes I saw through the masks. I walked towards my mother and took my place, now seated above her and my father, as the music began again. The decorations for the occasion were absolutely breathtaking. There were large curtains of beautifully colored fabrics hanging everywhere and tables of delectable treats.

"You look wonderful, dear," my mother said with approval through her golden mask.

I nodded, and stood up, anxious to find Grant, I was surprised he was not seated at his throne next to mine. I scanned the room and frowned when I couldn't find him through the masks and feathers.

I wandered around until I felt a soft tap on my shoulder, I smiled and turned around.

"May I have this dance?"

I gasped as I took in his appearance. He had dark slacks on but he had on the most exquisite black shirt, it was embroidered with silver beads and his mask was also full of silver decorations and tall black feathers. That wasn't the striking part, the striking part was his eyes. Something about the mask made his green eyes seem as if they were glowing and I felt as if though he could see right through me. It was unnerving but so gorgeous I couldn't look away.

I smiled, nodded, and put my hand in his. He wrapped an arm around my waist and pulled me close. I couldn't help but reminisce about the last time we had danced, and how things have changed since then.

"You are heartbreakingly beautiful, love," he whispered in my ear, making me tremble.

"As are you," I said back as I skimmed the tip of my nose along his jaw. I felt like there was incredible electricity between us and I was going to take advantage of it every way I could.

"You are a goddess from above and a temptress as well," he said as he ran a finger along my collarbone. I smiled and pressed myself harder against him.

"Thank you, for the gift, it's beautiful," I said as I glanced at the bracelet.

"My pleasure. And thank you, as well, for the token," he said as he smiled.

"It was nothing in comparison," I said meagerly.

"Ahh, but on the contrary, having you is the greatest gift I have ever received," he smiled and I blushed greatly.

We spent the night dancing, mingling and laughing with the townsfolk. It was an extreme success but I found myself anxious to return to our chambers.

"Grant, I think I'm going to turn in," I said after finishing a quick paced dance with him.

"I'll join you but first I must bid my goodbyes to your mother and father and our people for such a wonderful celebration," he said as he pulled me close. I couldn't deny the new hunger inside of me and I put my hands on his hips as I kissed him deeply. After we broke apart, he had an astonished look on his face. I stood up on my tiptoes, "Don't keep me waiting too long," I whispered quietly in his ear. With that, I turned to walk away but looked over my shoulder and smirked at him, only to see his face register what I'd said and he hurried to find my mother and father.

My nerves built up and tripled as I walked back to our chambers. I could feel my heart fluttering uncontrollably in my chest as I thought about what I was about to suggest. I took off my jewels and let my hair down to try and busy my idle hands.

I stood in front of the window and looked out upon the peaceful courtyard, soothing some of my nerves. My breath hitched in my throat as I felt a gentle touch brush my hair to one side and plant a soft kiss on my shoulder. I turned and looked into his gaze, feeling a hunger so unknown to me continue to build.

"My dress?" I asked as I turned around. I smiled inwardly to myself with what I had decided.

"My honor," he breathed.

My eyes shut slightly as I felt his fingers softly sweep my hair to the side of my neck once more. His hands were tracing my neckline, over my shoulders and down my back a short ways until he reached the top of my gown, his hand would then trace back up to my shoulders. I craned my neck to look over my shoulder. His lips were parted slightly and his eyes were burning brightly with desire. I knew he wanted it too, though he would wait for me until I was ready.

And tonight, I was ready.