The Rivalry Chapter 22

I woke up again in the night. I didn't know how long it had been but I could remember the pain. The throbbing was much less intense now. It was but a dull pulse. I took a deep breath and was relieved that I could control my body once again. I tried to open my eyes and I was pleased when I saw a candle glowing, it meant I actually succeeded in willing my body to act. I let them adjust to the dark and I searched for him. He was sitting on a love seat, trying to sleep. I watched him for a little while as he tossed and turned.

"Grant," I croaked before breaking into a fit of coughing, sending spikes of pain throughout my entire body. His head shot up and he was next to me quicker than I could comprehend.

"Lynnae, you're awake. You're going to be fine. I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. I shouldn't have left. I should have told somebody to watch the chambers, I'm sorry."

I shook my head weakly. "No." I managed. My throat burned, it was tight. I was very thirsty. I fought back more coughing - I couldn't bare it.

"I've been so worried. I thought you would never wake. It's been five days." His eyes were very tired as he looked at me. I felt sorrow stab at my chest, he had suffered because of me.

"Water?" I squeaked.

"Of course!" he said and he walked quickly to an end table by the loveseat, there was a pitcher of water there. He poured me some in a goblet and brought it to me. I tried to use my arms to push myself to sit up but cringed and let out a cry as pain ripped through me. I squeezed my eyes shut until the pain lessened. I opened my eyes and looked at Grant, he looked completely miserable, his eyes but broken shells of what they normally were.

I opened my mouth slightly and tilted my head back as he slowly poured some water into my mouth. It was a huge relief when the water made its way down my throat, soothing the dry ache. I coughed a few times before I spoke again.

"What happened?" I said quietly.

"Somebody...they attacked you. The blade was powdered with a strong poison. You were nearly killed. I am so sorry. I shouldn't have left your room unattended, not so soon in the transition of all of this," he said, shaking his head in agony.

"No. It is not your fault," I said, trailing off. "Will you lay with me...please?" I asked. I wanted nothing more than the warmth and comfort his company offered me.

The side of his mouth turned up slightly as he walked to the other side of the bed and lay beside me. He lay on his side, pressed lightly against me. I used my hand to search blindly for his, and when I found it I laced my fingers within his. I turned my head towards his slowly and I gave him a weak smile.

He cringed.

"What is wrong?" I asked.

"Lynnae, you could have died," he said.

"But I am here and I am getting better." I countered.

"You slept for five days, it was terrible for me. I thought you would never wake. I left you vulnerable, I did not protect you the way I promised. I am sorry..." he said ashamed, looking down.

"Don't be, somebody found me and got help."

"Yes, Hannah found you. She was coming to help you prepare for the day. She screamed for help and luckily Lex had come back. I had sent her and Jackson home. I told Lex to tell you that I would be there soon and she found Hannah holding you. She thought you had been killed. There was so much blood. Jackson caught the attacker as he retreated and locked him in the dungeons before he came riding to me and told me that there was trouble and I must be back right away. He told me that you were attacked and I assumed the worst."

"You have suffered over this," I said, noting the dull pain in his eyes.

"I swore to protect you and you were nearly killed. I want you to be happy here but how can I expect that to be now?"

"Grant, I absolutely adore this place. I have not been here long but I have fallen in love with what I have seen. Everybody is so carefree, they let themselves go and act on impulse. Every day in the cities there are festivals and dance. I am happy here." I smiled as he squeezed my hand lightly. He let my hand drop to my side as his fingers lightly traced the shape of my face, skimming over my cheekbones, nose, and lingering on my lips. I sighed as his cool hand cupped my cheek and I twisted my face to kiss his palm.

I softly grabbed his hand from my cheek and laced my fingers within it once again.

"You must be tired, I will let you sleep," he said, making a motion to get up.

"No! Don't, please," I panicked and gripped his hand. "Stay with me."

He slowly leaned over and kissed my forehead. I closed my eyes and let sleep take me, knowing he would not leave me.

I healed very quickly. Nevaria had some of the very best doctors a man could find. Three days passed. I was still sore but I could sit up by myself now. They replaced my bandages every day and I always looked at the long, jagged red gash that streaked across my abdomen.

"Drink this. It will help with the scarring. Your muscles are mending quickly and you will be in very good condition soon." Said the stout man, the doctor, as he handed me a small vial of thick liquid. I drank something different each of the past three days and they all tasted horrid. I took the vial and opened my mouth, trying not to breathe as I swallowed the contents. I coughed a couple times, causing a sharp pain in my stomach from the pressure. I looked up and smiled sheepishly at Grant, and held out my hand as he handed me some cool water.

"Thank you," I sighed before I gulped it down.

I waited for the doctor to leave before trying to get Grant to help me up. I held out my arms like a little child.

"Help me up. I've been in this bed the past nine days! I wish to get up." I exclaimed, exasperated.

"It will cause you pain."

"Please." I asked, pleading with him.

"Alright. But if it becomes too much, tell me."

"I will," I promised. My breath hitched in my throat as his face rested next to mine whilst he wrapped his arms around my rib cage and lifted me up. I winced slightly from the pressure of his arms but smiled when he set me on my feet. I teetered over slightly and he held my shoulder; keeping me steady. I was surprised with how weak I had truly become.

"Thank you," I smiled at him. I grabbed his hand to help me balance as I took a small step forward. My stomach throbbed with pain but I didn't care. I wanted to get to the window. I wanted to see my people. Thankfully, the window was close to the bed and it was only a few steps. I wrapped my arm around his side and smiled. I could see Crestwick from here. I could see the people scurrying around in a hurry.

I turned to Grant and smiled brightly. His returning smile was dazzling. He very carefully put his arm around me and drew me close. I could just barely feel his chest pressed against me. His other hand lightly ran through my hair. My heart thudded madly as his face lowered to mine and it nearly completely stopped as his soft lips pressed mine. The kiss was quick and sweet and it was enough to make my blood boil. I smiled up at him.

"I think I should lie back down," I said, not being able to ignore the fierce pulsating feeling coming from my center.

He helped me back to the bed and I struggled to get comfortable once again.

I was making progress. I could sit up on my own, I could feed myself and I felt much better. I could stand with the help of Grant. And much to my pleasure, I didn't cringe at Grant and I didn't want to be as far from him as possible. My mind didn't twist with intense fear when he looked into my eyes.

Progress was promising.