The Rivalry Chapter 15

Grant offered me his arm and I looped mine within it. We walked to my door and opened it. One of the royal guards stood there.

"My Lady...sir," he said, not knowing who Grant was, thankfully.

He led us down the halls that led to the balcony. It was an extremely large balcony, which looked out the west side of the royal home. It overlooked the courtyard and the bustling market shops and homes that lay past the walls and gates of the courtyard. The gates were most likely open now, allowing all the townsfolk to flood into the courtyard. I took a shallow breath, preparing myself. In a few short moments we were standing behind the door that led to the balcony. I could hear the trumpets blaring. The guard knocked twice on the door, letting father know we were ready. The trumpets stopped and my father's booming voice took their place. Today he would introduce me as Queen. This is mostly just a symbolic affair, of course. It is a symbolic feature of strength, to have a young, strong ruler. There would be no traditional wedding ceremony - this day will bind us as king and queen, husband and wife.

"Welcome people of Aerya! We thank you for joining us today, on this very special occasion. My daughter, Lynnae Anne Ahmisto will be announced as Queen today. We thank you dearly for your support as I now introduce, the coming Queen of the lands of Aerya, the coming Queen of our beloved kingdom!" I heard him boom and whistles and claps broke out. The guard opened the door and Grant and I stepped out. My mother was sitting in a throne on the balcony and my father was standing up in front of his. The clapping quieted and my father took my free hand and kissed it.

He looked from me, to Grant. His eyes narrowed and he held out his hand. Grant took it, gave it a gentle squeeze and released it.

"And now, we will introduce you to her suitor, and he will take his pledge. My people, meet Grant LeHarce." My father exclaimed. The words repeated over in my mind. Grant LeHarce. Grant LeHarce. I looked out among the people. I could see the looks on all of their faces. It was eerily quiet, none of them dared to breathe. A few looked angered, but they would not dare say anything. They would never raise their voice against the king.

"Lynnae Ahmisto, it is now your time to become Queen. Long we have waited this day, the day when my daughter would take the throne. You are wise beyond your years." My father kissed my cheek, and whispered in my ear. "I am proud of you, stay strong my little firebrand." I smiled. My father used to call me firebrand when I was younger, always getting into things and causing trouble.

"The Queen of Aerya, Lynnae Anne Ahmisto!" My father cried out loud, sweeping his arm, motioning to me. Grant took my hand and brought it to his lips, kissing it softly. I rewound my arm into his and I smiled. Then I heard that the people had started clapping. I blushed, a little embarrassed. I was young, but I was also experienced with large public affairs. I had grown up around this all my life.

My father turned his face sharply, and looked at Grant.

"Grant Leharce, you come to our homelands to join with our daughter, Lynnae. You two together give us a glimpse of what may come, a shimmer of hope. Do you swear to honor her and remain faithful to our kingdom? Do you swear to never raise a hand against her or any other Aeryan other than out of justice? Do you swear to assume the role as King dutifully and faithfully?" My father asked, trying to be as genuine as possible. This was hard for him. His whole life he had been trying to destroy Grant and his family, and now he had to swear him into my life.

"I swear. I am Grant Mitchell LeHarce, prince of Nevaria, heir to the LeHarce kingdom. I pledge my loyalty to you, your family, and your people. I will rule for these people honestly, and fairly, as they are now my own." Grant replied. His voice was strong and did not waver at all.