Celebrations and Sacrifice

“Arbitrary power is most easily established on the ruins of liberty abused to licentiousness.” George Washington

So, if you think you are standing firm, be careful that you don't fall! 1 Corinthians 10:12

Licentious: “marked by disregard for strict rules of correctness” Merriam-Webster Dictionary

In a letter to his wife Abigail, John Adams wrote. “The second day of July, 1776, will be celebrated by succeeding generations as the great anniversary festival. It ought to be solemnized with pomp and parade, with shows, games, sports, guns, bells, bonfires, and illumination, from one end of this continent to the other, from this time forward forevermore.” So tonight, wherever you are, if you can hear the booms of fireworks and see their flashes, remember what they mean, remember their significance. As it turns out, we celebrate our anniversary on the fourth instead of the second, but we celebrate it in exactly the way John Adams recommended. The creation of the United States has meant so much to this world. Yes, injustices have been incurred in her name, but greatness is her goal. Millions of her young men and women have fought and died for her ideals of freedom and liberty. So if it sounds like a war outside right now, if grand finale’s are lighting off in towns around the countryside, and you’re just trying to sleep or watch television. Consider their appropriateness. It took many battles, and many lives to obtain the freedom we have now. Let’s remember the sacrifices that have been made on our behalf throughout history. From Christ, to the young soldiers in every war we’ve ever fought as a nation. And while the revolutionary soldier had no knowledge of you and I when he chose to fight for what we have now, Christ died specifically for each one of us, so that we may have eternal life. While we honor and celebrate our history every fourth of July, let’s also remember the ultimate sacrifice made for us by our Savior and do our best to never abuse any sacrifice made on our behalf.

Daily Journaling Questions:

1. How did I help someone in kindness today?

2. What did I learn today?

3. What am I thankful for?

4. Who did I love today?

5. What am I dreaming for?

6. What about today do I want to remember forever?

7. What are my goals for tomorrow?

Thank you so much for reading.

Jake