Decisions and Mistakes

“In every race, you're making split second decisions; in every race, you make a hundred mistakes, sometimes those are the days you end up in victory lane.” Jeff Gordon

For though the righteous fall seven times, they rise again, but the wicked stumble when calamity strikes. Proverbs 24:16

Cataclysm: “A large-scale and violent event in the natural world” New Oxford American Dictionary

Life is full of decisions with unknown outcomes. Every time we get in our car to drive to work in the morning we have no certainty we will make it back home. But we make the decision to set out because it is what we must do to support ourselves and our family. We don't think of driving to work as being a mistake unless we were to get into an accident, even then we probably wouldn't blame ourselves for being foolish. While this is a silly example, I know, every decision in life is just like it. We know what needs to be done and we attempt it, no matter what the possible outcome, because we know the probable outcome. What if we considered great feats with the same sort of analysis? What if we thought of reaching our dreams as a probability instead of a possibility? Would that give us the courage to set lofty goals? When a race car driver straps into their seat, they are strapping in with the probability they are not going to win, but it's the possibility of winning, the belief that they can win, and the joy of the experience that drives them. What if we were to strap on our dreams and take them for a ride to see where they could take us? Even if we don't ride them all the way to ultimate success, couldn't we still enjoy the ride? Being correct can't always be the driving motivation behind our decision making process. Sometimes being wrong is what makes life worth living. If we didn't make mistakes what would we learn from?

Daily Journaling Questions:

How did I help someone in kindness today?

What did I learn today?

What am I thankful for?

Who did I love today?

What about today do I want to remember forever?

What are my goals for tomorrow?

Thanks for reading.

Jake