A Child or a Progeny

“Every child deserves a home and love. Period.” Dave Thomas (founder of Wendy's and an adopted child)

A father to the fatherless, a defender of widows, is God in his holy dwelling. God sets the lonely in families,he leads out the prisoners with singing; but the rebellious live in a sun-scorched land. Psalm 68:5-6

Progeny: “a descendant or the descendants of a person, animal, or plant; offspring” New Oxford American Dictionary

When is a child a progeny? Is it when a mother gives birth to her baby? Is it when a father impregnates a woman? I say it's when a person decides to make a child their own and raise them as a descendant and a family member. Whether it's a blood descendant or adopted makes little difference. Every child deserves to be loved and cherished by a parent. If they have no birth parent alive or willing to take care of them, it becomes our responsibility to care for them. This isn't a subject that's often written about in the context of motivation and encouragement, but I'm determined it's a subject that deserves attention from all of us. And I'm convinced there is no better motivation, or encouragement than to help someone or something in need. We may not be in a position to adopt, but most of us are in a position to donate our time and or money to care for children in need. There are too many children around this world who need a home and a hope for us to sit idly by. Time and again the Bible talks about God's people caring for widows and orphans. Let's not be rebellious against God's wishes, let's do what we can to follow His desires and the examples He set forth in His word. Even if it's 10 dollars to an orphanage, that's 10 dollars to help a child that would likely die without help. What is a child's smile and full belly really worth? Like the MasterCard commercial ad campaign would say, it's “priceless.” What would you do to put a smile on a child's face?

Daily Journaling Questions:

How did I help someone in kindness today?

What did I learn today?

What am I thankful for?

Who did I love today?

What about today do I want to remember forever?

What are my goals for tomorrow?

Thank you so much for reading.

Jake