Exciting Purpose

Apply yourself. Get all the education you can, but then, by God, do something. Don't just stand there, make it happen.” Lee Iococa

“Lord, if it’s you,” Peter replied, “tell me to come to you on the water.” “Come,” he said. Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus. But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, “Lord, save me!” Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. “You of little faith,” he said, “why did you doubt?” Matthew 14:28-31

Cosher: “To treat with special fondness.” Dictionary.com

In the early 1960's, muscle cars became an american icon when people discovered how fun a small car with a big motor could be. The sound of powerful V8's and the smell of burning rubber enthralled people all over the world. Muscle cars became a way of life, and the big three american auto manufacturers from Detroit (Ford, General Motors, and Chrysler) were more than willing to accommodate anyone who wanted to go fast. Muscle cars became faster and faster each year until their their pinnacle during the late 60's and early 70's. As smog controls and emission standards came into full effect during the early 70's, the performance of the big american V8's was rapidly reduced, killing the era of the muscle car, and with it, the excitement of the american automobile. Faced with new challenges, the big three in Detroit took their eyes off the goal of exciting their customers, and their reputations floundered, with such cars as the Ford Pinto, AMC Gremlin, and Plymouth K cars. Not necessarily bad cars outright, but certainly not exciting cars. So what's my point? We're all gonna go through phases in our lives like the american automobile manufacturers. There will be times when it seems we can do nothing wrong; then when obstacles appear, the things we did so right are no longer an option. But when our focus is a goal rather than a process, we can more easily ensure ourselves continued progress. Peter began to sink into the lake when he lost faith in his goal of walking on the water towards sChrist, Detroit sunk into the doldrums of mediocre auto manufacturing when they stopped trying to excite their customers, and we will doom ourselves to failure if we lose faith in the abilities God has granted us with. No matter who we are, or what our position in life is, we all have an ability that no one else can match, but it's useless without a purpose. Let's find and follow a purpose. Purpose is exciting!

Daily Journaling Questions:

How did I help someone in kindness today?

What did I learn today?

What am I thankful for?

Who did I love today?

What about today do I want to remember forever?

What are my goals for tomorrow?

As always, thank you so much for reading.

Jake