The Stepping Stones of Life

“You cannot keep the birds from flying over your head but you can keep them from building a nest in your hair.” Martin Luther

Put on the whole armor of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. Ephesians 6:11-12

Wile: “devious or cunning stratagems employed in manipulating or persuading someone to do what one wants” New Oxford American Dictionary

In The Purpose Driven Life Rick Warren says, “On the path to spiritual maturity, even temptation becomes a stepping-stone rather than a stumbling block, when you realize that it is just as much an occasion to do the right thing as it is to do the wrong thing.” Our lives are often defined by the choices we make. All of us are tempted every day to do something we know we shouldn't and all of us do something every day we know we shouldn't do; we're human after all. But temptation does not have to beat us. The Bible says Jesus struggled with temptation like we do, but He did not allow it to beat Him. Instead, He used temptations as a method to beat the devil. We have no way to fight the devil on our terms, he has to declare war on us, not the other way around. The only way to fight him is on his terms; the only way to defeat him is by resisting him. Legend has it, that while translating the Bible at Wartburg, Martin Luther had an encounter with the Devil. It is said that Luther threw his inkwell at Satan and continued with his work. There is no way to confirm this story and most believe it to be a rather tall tail. However, whether the story is true or not, it's a useful example of our fight with the evil. James 4:7 states, “Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.” A life lived for God will encounter obstacles. Rough patches will come up. And temptation will distract. But we are to hold on to our Maker, resist the devil and move on. That's what Jesus did in the desert and that's what He taught us to do as followers. The world is a battlefield, the devil is our adversary, and God is our purpose and defense. Lincoln has been quoted many times as having said something like, “Our concern should not be that God is on our side, but that we are on God's side.” That is not an exact quote and in truth no one is quite sure Lincoln ever said it. But here's what the Bible says. “If God be for us, who can be against us.” Romans 8:28 “The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for though art with me; thy rod and they staff they comfort me. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.” Psalm 23 As long as we're on His side He'll be fighting for us and protecting us and the mere act of choosing sides determines the outcome. Let's choose victory in the face of a stronger foe. Let's choose comfort in the midst of hardship. Let's choose peace in the presence of war. Let's choose Jesus.

Daily Journaling Questions:

How did I help someone in kindness today?

What did I learn today?

What am I thankful for?

Who did I love today?

What am I dreaming of?

What about today do I want to remember?

What are my goals for tomorrow?

Thanks for reading.

Jake