Chapter 13 - Shadows of the past II

A/N This chapter contains slightly stronger sexual scenes. Younger readers beware!

Wes is driving us to... well I have absolutely no idea. We are going camping which was a great idea! Eventually he pulls up his car to a familiar spot, his secret place. I turn to grin at him. "I should've known we were coming here." 

"Well like I said, this is my favourite place." He smiles warmly and comes around to open my door. It takes us a while to carry everything down since we keep playing around or getting lost in kissing. When we start setting up the tent I decide to bring up Mike since it keeps bugging me why this guy hates Wes.

“Wes.. Can I ask you something?” I ask hesitantly but he smiles as brightly as he always does. “Yea for sure, what’s up?”

Balls. Should I ask him after all? He seems so happy right now and if he reacts to Mike the same way he did to Wes, the day could be ruined. I don't want that. But I have to know. I bite my lower lip and look at him with reservation. “Okay I don't know how to ask this.. But I...Well eh I'll just spit out." Wes looks confused and stops working on the tent. I rub my arm awkwardly. "Okay... So yesterday when I was having dinner with my family, my brother's friend joined us. One point when the two of us ended up talking, I mentioned your name and he kinda froze and told me to stay away from you." At this point Wes looks completely confused but I continue. "So as you can imagine, it was super weird but I didn’t have a chance to ask what his deal was so I thought maybe you know? Erm.. His name is Mike Bolton.”

Wes' face immediately turns white. He remains rigid for a moment before he sits down and takes of his snapback. “Oh... I wouldn’t have guessed from all the people you ran into him.” He says silently.

I sit next to him and lightly squeeze his shoulder in a comforting way. “Can you tell me what's going on?” I ask softly.

He sighs heavily. “Yea… I wish you wouldn't have found about this but I guess these things never stay hidden. Uuhm couple years ago I used to date Mike's little sister. It wasn’t serious for me and he knew that, therefore he never liked me. One night I was driving and we were messing around in the car. I got distracted for a split of a second, less than a second! But it was enough... I didn’t see a truck coming and I crashed into it..."

I gasp but I don’t interrupt him. I have a strong urge to make him feel better, his voice reveals the pain and guilt he is still experiencing. I can't stand how much his words carry pain, his blaming himself the most torturous way.

His voice is shaky when he continues. "I-I barely got a scratch but Emily... She wasn't that lucky. She was in a coma for half a year. And when she woke up, it took months for her to recover mobility in her limbs.” Wes is in the verge of breaking down, I feel tears of my own pricking my eyes. After a moment of silence, he clears his throat a little to sober himself up. “After the accident Mike told me to stay away from her or he will kill me. I've respected his wish but I know Emily wouldn't want me to see her either. I ruined her life god damn it! I never wanted that to happen! And it wasn’t fair to her especially since I... I was kinda using her… And fuck!!! I don't deserve to be here!!” Wes throws his cap away furiously and he is visibly shaking from anger but he's trying to control it in order not to hit anything.

I quickly throw my arms around him and hug him as tightly as I can. “Don't do that Wes. Don't beat yourself up this way. Accidents and bad things happen every day to people who don’t deserve it, trust me I know." When Wes has relaxed in my embrace, I pull apart. I lift my hand to cup his face. "Wes. She is better now which is the only thing that matters. Yes you could've been a better boyfriend I suppose, but accidents happen no matter are you good or bad. I think you should try to talk with her and maybe with Mike to get some peace.”