Chapter 34: Baby Gender and Names

*Three weeks later*

Naomi and Jim were going to find out the gender of their baby today. Nervously, they sat in an ultrasound room.

"Ready to find out?" Jim asked, trying to be very calm.

"Yeah. What are you hoping for?" Naomi asked, fidgeting with her hands.

"I don't know. I want a girl, but I also want a boy." Jim answered. "What about you?"

"I want a girl, but a boy would be great." Naomi said as a nurse came in.

"Okay, you've been here before you know the drill." She said, sitting down at a desk. Naomi prepared herself and the nurse out a cold gel on her stomach.

Jim moved over to Naomi's other side and held her hand. "That's our baby?" He asked in disbelief. This was the first ultrasound he'd been to.

"Yeah." Naomi answered, laughing at Jim. It was just a basic black and white ultrasound, but Jim still loved it.

"Do you want to know the genders?" The nurse asked, moving the scanner on Naomi's stomach.

"Wait, hold up." Jim said, shock filling his face. "Genders. As in plural. More than one?"

"Yes it's twins." The nurse said, laughing at Jim's reaction. Naomi's face was frozen. She didn't know it was more than one. That probably explained why she was a bit bigger than most women at this stage.

"Twins." Naomi muttered smiling.

"Twins." Jim echoed, holding her hand even tighter.

"Would you like to know the genders?" The nurse repeated, smiling.

Jim and Naomi nodded anxiously.

"Well, it looks like two boys." The nurse said. Naomi screamed with happiness and hugged Jim. He was really happy, but also stunned.

"Two babies. Two boys." He muttered. "Wow."

"I know, it's a lot to process but it's amazing." Naomi insisted. The nurse went to print ultrasound photos, leaving Jim and Naomi alone.

"How are we going to handle two!?" Jim exclaimed, still amazed.

"We'll do fine." Naomi said, trying to calm him.

Later that night, Naomi and Jim were thinking about names for their boys. "How about Alex?" Jim suggested. Naomi shook her head no.

"Malcolm?" She asked, hopeful. "Malcolm Jackson Kirk."

"I like that one." Jim said, adding it to the list they had. So far only three, but Malcolm stood out.

"How about Elliot. Elliot George Kirk." Jim suggested, shrugging.

"George after your father?" Naomi asked. Jim nodded. "I really like that. How about Malcolm Jackson Kirk and Elliot George Kirk are the names. Just don't call them that until after they're born, it's weird otherwise."

"Agreed." Jim said. "Malcolm and Elliot. That's great."

"It's perfect." Naomi said, kissing Jim.