Chapter 28: Winona Kirk

*mentions of past abuse*

Two days had passed. Jim's mother, Winona, was going to meet them before the wedding. Jim was still a little sick, but the fever was gone. He refused to even dress up a little, all he was wearing was a t-shirt and sweatpants.

He nervously paced back and forth in the living room. Naomi sat on the couch, watching him nervously. The last couple of days, Jim had been clumsy. He was cutting vegetables yesterday and cut his hand. Naomi had wrapped it up on a bandage.

"Jim, honey, please calm down. Just sit next to me. You'll hurt yourself." Naomi said, patting the couch beside her. Jim shook his head and kept pacing.

He turned around and walked toward into a coffee table. He fell down onto the table, hitting the side of his face. "Ouch." He grumbled, putting his hand to the side of his face.

"C'mere." Naomi said, holding the side of his face. He had a bruise, but nothing serious. There was a little scrape. "I told you you'd get hurt."

"Yeah yeah." Jim muttered, sitting in the couch. "I'm nervous."

"I can tell. You'll be fine." Naomi said, kissing his cheek. The doorbell rang and Jim tensed.

Naomi stood up and opened the door. "Hello, are you Naomi?" Winona asked, smiling.

"Yes, hello." Naomi answered, smiling back.

"I'm Winona Kirk. It's nice to meet you!" She said, hugging Naomi.

"You too." Naomi said, motioning for her to come inside. Jim glanced over as Winona walked in.

"Jim." Winona started to say, sitting on the couch. She pulled him into a hug, tears running down her face. He stood up in resistance, leading her to stand up as well.

"Do you know how much my childhood sucked." Jim stated, his face blank.

"I thought it was okay. I was never around, but Frank seemed to treat you and Sam good, so-" Winona started before Jim cut her off.

"That was an act. Frank would hit us and abuse is the second you stepped out of the door. You left us with that devil and you didn't seem to care." Jim growled, getting more and more agitated.

"Jim. I'm so sorry." Winona muttered, still crying. She ran her thumb over the bruise and scrape in Jim's face. She pulled him into a hug, burying her head into her youngest sons chest.

"I know your sorry, but it doesn't change anything." Jim muttered, starting to hug her back.

"I didn't know Jim. I swear. I wouldn't have left you two with him." Winona muttered, sadness spreading on her face.

"I......... forgive you." Jim stuttered, hugging Winona. The two moved apart when she noticed the scar on his shoulder. It was big enough to reach just out of the t-shirt.

"What happened?" She asked, moving the sleeve up.

"I was shot there." Jim explained. "I was stabbed here." He added, lifting his shirt up.

"Is this from that women that tried to kill you?" Winona asked in disbelief.

"Yeah." Jim uttered, sitting down.

"Did you take care of him?" Winona asked Naomi. She nodded and sat down beside Jim.

"As you know, we are getting married in five days." Naomi said, wrapping her arms around Jim. He turned his head back and kissed her.

"I'm looking forward the wedding. I'll have a daughter in law. Possibly grandchild...." Winona hinted, smirking a little.

"You are just like my mother." Naomi laughed.

"Everyone wants us to have kids." Jim muttered, sighing.

"Don't you want kids? I thought we had this discussion." Naomi said, looking at Jim.

"Yeah. Someday." Jim muttered, kissing Naomi.

Later that night, Jim and Naomi were laying in bed. "About kids...." Naomi started saying.

"Yeah." Jim asked, holding Naomi close.

"When do you want kids?" Naomi asked, snuggling next to Jim.

"Someday." Jim answered, kissing the top of Naomi's head.

"When's someday?" Naomi insisted.

"Just sometime after we are married." Jim said. "Can you believe that's in five days?"

"I can't believe it. It's amazing." Naomi muttered, smiling to herself.

"It'll be the best." Jim added, smiling as well.