Chapter 27: Different Families, Different Reactions

*mentions of past abuse.*

Wedding is in one week. They have been engaged for a month and one week.

"You have to tell them sometime!" Naomi insisted, arguing with her fiancé. He didn't want to tell his brother and mother, despite the fact they are family.

"I haven't spoken to my mother in six years." Jim grumbled, holding a PADD. Naomi had been insisting on him on at least messaging his mother.

"Stop complaining like a little kid and send her a messages. We know the number, all it is is one message." Naomi said, hugging Jim from the side and burying her head into his shoulder. He could be very stubborn.

"It's weird. I haven't talked or sent her a message in six years. How would it be if I hadn't spoken to you in six years and then suddenly you get a message saying 'Hey, I just thought you should you should know I nearly died a few times and now I'm getting married.'" Jim laughed, fumbling with the keys on the PADD.

"I'll send the message then and say it's from you." Naomi said, grabbing the PADD from Jim. She started to type a long message about StarFleet, what happened with Sabina, and she was about to finish typing about the engagement and wedding when Jim took the PADD. He finished the message and clicked send.

"That wasn't hard." Jim muttered sarcastically. He looked like he was sad and close to crying.

"You'll be okay. Thanks for sending the message." Naomi said, kissing his cheek. "I love you."

"I love you. Your the main thing in my life that brings happiness." Jim muttered, kissing her on the lips. The PADD dinged with a new message.

Jim refused to look at it, he just laid down which caused Naomi to move off of the couch. He buried his head in a pillow. Naomi picked up the PADD and read the message.

Jim,

It's a shame we haven't talked more. I am your mother after all. I don't know why we haven't been able to work things out. I'm worried for you, about the nearly dying and joining StarFleet. I'd love to come to the wedding, it's be great to see you again. I'm so sorry about leaving so much when you were younger. Frank was good to you though. I had so many business trips. When is the wedding? I miss you Jim.

Love,
Winona.

"Jim," Naomi started saying when she finished the message. "I don't think Winona knew about the abuse from Frank."

"Why?" Jim asked, moving his head away from the pillow a little.

"She said Frank treated you alright. I don't think she knows." Naomi muttered, moving down by his head.

"Frank would act sweet whenever she was home, which really wasn't often." Jim said, realizing the fact. He still looked sad and he actually looked sick.

"That would explain that. The weddings next week. I'll invite her." Naomi said, sending another message. Jim just sighed and went to bed. Naomi was getting worried about Jim, he wasn't okay.

"What's wrong?" Naomi asked, sitting beside Jim in bed. He was laying down, looking upset.

"I haven't seen my mother in years. I thought she knew about the hell Frank put me and Sam through." Jim muttered, starting to cry a little. "If she knew, maybe she would have left him."

"It's the past. She doesn't know. You can tell her." Naomi said, kissing Jim's cheek.

"I- I- I just don't know." Jim stuttered, still crying. Naomi laid down beside him. She wrapped her arms around his waist and chest before laying her head in the crook of his neck and shoulder.

"Shh, your okay." She muttered as he cried. It was the first time she'd ever seen him cry, which was surprising with his past. "You feel warm." She mumbled, moving her hand to his forehead.

Jim just mumbled a few words that Naomi couldn't decipher. He did have a fever. "Get some sleep." She muttered, kissing him. "I love you, remember that."

"Always." Jim muttered before falling asleep.