Chapter 10: Crisis

One week and two dates later, Naomi and Jim were doing fine in their apartment. No major fights, just little ones like whether or not you use a coaster, or where you keep the TV remote. They both had one agreement, neither of them went into the others bathroom or bedroom without permission. It was an unspoken truce.

Jim was still sore from the stab wound, but Naomi could help. Being a nurse can come in handy at times like this. It didn't come in handy when the food was burned, but now it did.

"How is it you keep ripping the stitches? All you do is lay there." Naomi asked, laughing to herself. Jim kept ripping the stitches over the stab wound.

"I don't know. I move an inch and they tear." Jim muttered, his face scrunching with pain as Naomi sewed it shut again. She had brought home a med kit for when things like this happen.

"That's weird." Naomi muttered to herself. She finished stitching the wound and watched Jim slowly fall asleep. Something was wrong here. Both of them had been feeling very tired, Jim more than Naomi.

"Naomi." Jim muttered just before she left to go to her room. "Stay with me please. I don't feel well at all. Possible an infection, I don't want to be alone."

"Okay." Naomi muttered, yawning. Why were they suddenly so tired?

Naomi laid down next to Jim on his bed. He had already fallen asleep. Just as she was about to close her eyes, the power went out. But she fell asleep anyway.

-----------

"Huh!" Naomi gasped, returned to consciousness. She jerked up and looked around. She was in the in the sickbay. Some of her co-workers walked around her bed, trying to calm her.

She jumped up and ran. Naomi needed to find Jim. Muffled voices filled her ears. Her vision clouded, her mind jumbled. Stumbling through the halls was hard work. Her breath became heavier and she collapsed on the ground.

A familiar doctor had came to get her. He helped her lay back down on the bed. An oxygen mask was placed on her face. Slowly, Naomi drifted out of consciousness, muttering the word "Jim."