Chapter 11: Recovery

Four days later, consciousness found Naomi. She awoke from her sleep, bewildered at the scene around her. Things had calmed down a little, but not much.

"Jim." She muttered, hoping to get attention from someone. It didn't work. "Jim." She repeated louder, moving herself up into her elbows.

"Naomi, you're awake!" Bones said, a smile forming on his face.

"How's Jim!" Naomi yelled, trying to stand up. Bones started to shove her back down, only to have her resist.

"Lay down," he muttered, trying to shove her back down.

"I won't leave if you tell me how he is." Naomi said, still fighting him.

"He's doing better. A lot better than you at the moment. No major injuries, just some minor ones. Surprising. They caught one of the guys goons. He won't say anything. We don't even know if the guy you saw was the leader." Bones said, informing Naomi on the news. She nodded and reluctantly laid back.

"That's good. They caught the guy before he got to us? Is that why we were so tired?" Naomi asked, yawning as she finished. She was still very tired.

"Both of you were poisoned. We think through the water. It might be better to buy all your water now." Bones said, giving Naomi a quick hug.

"Can I see him. Please." Naomi muttered, sitting forward a little.

"Fine. But I help you walk there." Bones grumbled, helping her stand. The two of them walked to Jim's room.

"Naomi!" He shouted when she walked in. She sat down on his bed. He instantly leaned up and kissed her. "I was so worried. No one would tell me anything."

"I'm okay, I'm okay." Naomi muttered, hugging him.

"When can we go home?" Jim asked.

"I think today." She answered, smiling at him. "It depends on our apartment."
Jim nodded and grinned.

"Great. I don't want to stay here for a long time. It gets old." Jim mumbled, laying back down. Naomi cuddled up next to him, smiling.

"Alright, you two have clearance to leave. Your apartment has been checked out and new safety things have been added. Be careful." Bones said, coming in the room.

Naomi and Jim got up and started to walk home. Neither of you wanted to really sit or lay down, they'd  been doing enough of this lately. The apartment did have knew safety additions, stronger latches on the doors, better filters on the tap water.

Jim had went to sit on the couch, the stab wound bothering him from all the walking. Naomi looked around the room, seeing a stack of mail on the table.

Her parents had mailed a letter. They preferred the letter vs messaging. A lot of people did. That's how everyone got bills for houses.

Naomi opened the letter and looked at the page.

Dear Naomi,

We've heard about the accident and injuries. We all hope you're okay. Your father, siblings, and I would like to come for a visit. We also heard about this guy you had moved in with. I'd like the story about that. Call so we can set up a date to come.

Love,
Mother.

Naomi set down the letter and sat by Jim. "My parents and sibling want to visit and meet you." She blurted out, cuddling next to him.

"That's okay. When are they coming?" Jim asked, pulling her close.

"I'm thinking next week, Tuesday." She said, holding him closer. It felt great to be wrapped in his warm, strong embrace.

"Okay. Where will they sleep?" Jim asked, already thinking ahead. It was only Wednesday.

"Probably my room and the couch." Naomi suggested, setting her head in his shoulder.

"Where will you sleep?" Jim asked, obviously not getting the hint.

"I was hoping with you." Naomi muttered, kissing his cheek.

"Oh. That's just fine." Jim replied, kissing her cheek back.

"I knew you'd be okay with it." Naomi mumbled, kissing his lips softly.