Chapter 5: Just a Question

"Bones, be honest, how often does Jim get hurt?" Naomi asked, following Bones out of the room after Jim's exam.

"Quite a lot. I'm actually surprised the two of you haven't met before. You being my assistant, you should've met him long ago. He's always in here." Bones said, setting the PADD down when they get to his office.

"Why does he get injured so much?" Naomi asked, sitting in a by Bones desk. Both of them had a few hours off due to being called early in the morning. Neither of them really went to class, but staying in sickbay was technically their class.

"Bar fights, recklessness, other fights, you name it, he's been hurt by it. Don't even get me started on the time he found a kitten..." Bones answered, getting some coffee from the food replicator.

"Do you think he could change?" Naomi asked, watching the coffee swirl around in the mug. "From the bar fights I mean. Could he change?"

"I suppose, if he finds the right person. I like you going out with him. He's different with you. It's better." Bones said, taking a sip of coffee, but wincing because it was too hot.

"How so? How's he different?"

"Most women he goes out with, it's only for a night. One night, then he never calls them again. You're different. He actually wants to he with you. It's pretty hard to describe, but-" Bones said before stopped. He looked around the room, as if scared Jim would hear. "As I said, you're much different and he likes you a lot more."

Naomi nodded and drank some coffee. Jim had fallen asleep in the other room, giving Naomi time to run back to her dorm.

"Where were you! I was worried!" Sabina yelled when Naomi walked in the door.

"Oh sure, forget the guy that stayed with you all night while you were worried!" Kayden intervened. "I was worried too, by the way."

"I'm sorry. Jim was hurt, and only McCoy and I could help him." Naomi explained, yawning. "I'm going to sleep now if you don't mind."

Naomi flopped down on the bed and crawled under the covers. The lights were still on, so she buried her head into the pillow. She was asleep almost instantly.

Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep.

Dang, those phones can be annoying. Wait, that wasn't a phone, that was a doorbell. Hopefully it wasn't Kayden drunk again. Last time that happened he passed out on the floor with his head half in a bowl of jell-o.

Naomi dragged herself out of bed and looked at the clock. It was already 10:00 PM. She had slept through the whole day.

Naomi opened the door. Jim Kirk stood in the doorway, holding a bottle of wine. Two glasses were in his other hand, the sides clanking together. "C'mon, let's go for a quick date. The sickbay let me out for a couple hours to walk around and get stuff from my dorm."

"How? You were in a lot of pain not even a few hours ago." Naomi stated, causing Jim to just shrug. Fine, let me get my coat." Naomi muttered, grabbing her coat out of the closet. She followed Jim into the courtyard. The two of them sat on ten grass, drinking the wine.

"It's beautiful out tonight isn't it?" Jim mumbled, staring up at the stars.

"Yeah." Naomi replied, amazed by the different stars. "They're gorgeous."

"You're gorgeous." Jim corrected her.

"Yeah. Sure." She remarked sarcastically.

"No, I'm serious. You're very gorgeous. And smart. And kind. And sarcastic. And funny. And-"

"Woah, slow down. This is only the second date. We don't even know much about each other, but I like to save the real secrets and past for the third date." Naomi said, smirking at Jim before taking a sip of wine.

"I suppose." Jim muttered, smiling back at Naomi. "I should get back to sickbay. As much as I hate it there, Bones would kill me if I don't go."

"I'm walk with you. I should probably get back to work. And you're my patient, so come on. Back to bed with you, you must be in a lot of pain." Naomi told him, standing up. "I really liked this."

"Me too." Jim whispered, kissing Naomi on the forehead. He followed her to sickbay, willingly laying down with an IV drip to help with the pain. Finally, he was truly changing some ways after so soon.