Chapter 11

All alone and I remember now

11
Luke slowly opens his eyes. He blinks away the blurriness and soon, two heads are towering over him.

"You good?" Calum asks. Luke tries to speak but feels like cotton balls are stuffed in his mouth. He nods instead and Calum frowns.

"You passed out for an hour. We brought you home." Luke hears the worry in his voice. He sits up when a wave of nausea makes him lay back down.

"Take it easy. I think you hit your head pretty hard when you fell." Ashton says. He brings out a bottle of water and Luke's throat becomes aware of how dry it is.

"What happened?" Luke's voice is low and raspy. He opens the bottle and chucks down the cool water.

"Well, according to Zack, you attacked him. I hacked into the security cameras and I saw that he attacked you." Calum hisses. Luke nodded and then he asks again.

"Did you see the guy who defended me?"

Ashton raises an eyebrow and Calum furrows his own, "No...? The footage shows that you pushed Zack. It got a little fuzy but at the end, you're at the same place and he's beaten."

Luke purses his lips and closes his eyes. It's the same red haired punk he saw at the party. Wouldn't Calum or Ashton know who he is?

"Do you know someone with red hair and an eyebrow piercing?"

"Are you okay, Luke? We don't know anyone with red hair."

He nods and tries to sit up, again.

"No, you're not. Go to sleep." Calum orders and gently pushes Luke back down.

"But-"

"I know. I'm sorry but you need rest. Now, sleep."

Luke sighs and gets comfortable.

-

Everything is slow and bright. Luke is back in the same medicine aisle and watching the red haired guy defend him. His pale arms look skinny but the pounds of his fists say otherwise.

Luke tries to move but his fingers only twitch. He sees red head stand up straight and his knuckles are bleeding dark red.

I've been watching you for weeks, the whispers say and it makes Luke's dream spin but the punk is still standing.

Did mommy and daddy die?, Zack's voice echoes. Luke feels uneasy and he tries to move.

Hey, blondie, you okay? The red haired punk comes forward and grazes his bloody knuckles against Luke's cheek. But he didn't say that in real life, why would a nightmare ask if he was okay?

I've been watching you for weeks, the phrase repeats and Luke knows this exact words. It makes his blood run cold. Red head disappears and the lights in his dream flicker, and soon, the darkness starts rolling in waves towards him.

I've been watching you for weeks, it screams and Luke is scared. He doesn't know why the phrase makes him run but he sprints away from the dark.

Luke wakes up with his eyes closed. He holds in a scream and tries to calm down his speeding heart. Two months of nightmares and this is the one he reacts to. Not the one where his mother accused him or the one where the hooded man carved his skin, but the one where the phrase repeated itself.

Why is this phrase so meaningful to him? Maybe Luke burried it deep down because it was that bad. He finally let his eyes open and this time, he does scream.