➳ Chapter 21 - Comfort

{Trigger Warning Ahead}

[Cayden's POV]

Dad had an extra mattress and we moved it to my room, which was actually bigger than my old room.

"Ah! Callie!" Johnnie screamed as I saw Callie really liked Johnnie.

I laughed and pulled Callie off of Johnnie and into my arms as Johnnie jumped to my bed for safety.

"Haha, alright Callie, go hump Dad instead," I laughed as I shooed her off.

"She's just not my type," Johnnie said as he plopped back down on his bed.

I laughed and jumped up. "She did that to me one time just to wake up," I said.

Johnnie laughed as my Dad then walked in. "Hey guys, its late. Lights out," he said.

"Good night, Dad," I said.

"Good night, Mr. Mora," Johnnie said.

"Kid, relax, I'm just CC," he smiled. "Sleep tight, guys. We're meeting the guys at Denny's tomorrow before dropping you off home, Johnnie."

We nodded as he turned off the light and closed the door.

"G'night, Johnnie," I yawned, getting in the covers.

"Good night, Cayden," he mumbled before we both soon fell asleep.

*nightmare*

"Cayden.........."

I turned and noticed I was in some dark foggy place.

"Cayden......."

"W-Who's there?" I said, looking around.

"Cayden....."

I turned and gasped when I saw a pale figure standing a few feet away from me.

"M-Mom...?" I asked.

She smiled at me and held her arms out to me.

I ran over and hugged her as tightly as I could, feeling tears in my eyes.

"I love you, Cayden," she said.

"I love you, too, Mom," I cried. "I miss you."

"I miss you, too," She smiled.

I smiled and then my smile fell when I saw a long pale skinny hand with claws grabbed her throat from behind and pulled her away from me.

"Mom!!!" I cried as she ended up in someone's grasp.

That's when a sickly thin woman stepped from behind my mom, still holding my mom, smirking evilly.

"She doesn't need you anymore, kid. She's got me now," she smirked, stroking my mom's hair as she looked scared.

"Cayden, please, help me," she sobbed.

"Shut up!" The woman sneered as her claws scratched her arm, making her scream.

"LEAVE HER ALONE!!!" I shouted as the fog started to rise more.

"Cayden, help me, please!!" she cried.

I tried running and just felt myself being scratched and pushed and screamed as it all started to fade.

**end of nightmare**

"Cayden!! Cayden, wake up, please!!" A voice begged.

I yelped and sat up with a jolt and hands held my arms as I panted and looked to see Johnnie looking at me worried.

"I-I..." I said, but Johnnie just put his hand over my mouth as I felt tears begin to fall.

"Cayden, just calm down, it was just a bad dream, its over," He said.

"My mom... She didn't want to die," I cried as Johnnie hugged me and I cried harder.

"What did you see?" he asked.

I gulped nervously. "Remember Skye, from middle school? How she said "Ana" killed her sister?" I mumbled.

He looked at me and bit his lip, meaning he understood.

"Your mom didn't die in vain, Cayden. She was a good mom, that's all you should remember," he said. "And Ana isn't real. She's like the monsters under your bed, imaginary but still scary."

I sniffled and nodded.

Just then my door opened and my Dad was there and walked up to my side once he saw us. "I heard a yell? What happened?"

"It was just a bad dream, Dad. I-I'm okay," I said, trying to keep my voice strong. "Johnnie's here."

He hesitated to leave, but then sighed and hugged my. "Okay. We can talk tomorrow if you want."

I hugged him back. "Okay."

Once he left, Johnnie hugged me before climbing off the bed and getting his pillow.

"What are you doing?" I asked.

"After my dad died, I couldn't stop getting nightmares of the night he died. The sirens, the lights, the commotion, it all fucked me up, remember? And you were there when I had bad dreams every night, you and your mom. Well, now you need someone," he said.

I remember. Johnnie and I were only 12 years old when his dad died. My mom and I slept over his house some nights to help his family and comfort both him and his sister, as well as his mom, and Johnnie would sometimes wake up screaming, and me or his sister would just climb into bed and hold him until he was okay.

He climbed into bed and I moved so we could both have room and soon we were both curled up next to each other, and I had calmed down.

[Johnnie's POV]

Cayden had finally calmed down.

"Johnnie," Cayden mumbled.

"Yeah?" I whispered, looking up at him.

"Thanks," He said. "For always being there."

I couldn't help but smile when he said that as I looked up at his face, noticing his eyes were shining, probably from the tears but... I liked it...

"Same goes for you. Thanks, Cayden," I smiled as we hugged and fell asleep.

Why am I suddenly feeling like this for him?