➳ Chapter 9 - What To Say?

[CC's POV]

"The family was under a lot of economic issues. The boy had a good paying job, however, from a wine brewery associate, but the woman payed most of the money for his food, clothes, education, and college fund, and the rent. She never used that money for herself," Kate said. "She had a job as a school secretary."

"Wait, she never ate or bought herself new clothes or anything?" I asked.

Kate shook her head. "She never even paid for her own medical bills, only Cayden's if he was ever injured. Her only focus was Cayden. Saying she was selfless is an understatement. She didn't care even for her health, only his. Her anorexia and bulimia worsened by time, and she was also clinically depressed, severely. She would faint multiple times during work, yet continue even without energy."

Why would Josefina force herself this much? Didn't she know she would die and leave Cayden if she kept hurting herself like this?

"And the kid? How's he taking it?" I asked.

"Doesn't talk, barely eats either, but had made himself eat a few times. He cried too much after she died until the funeral. A family friend, the Guilberts, helped arrange it and took care of him for a while, but they couldn't for long, since they weren't trustees, unfortunately, and were denied due to income I believe it was," Kate said. "He knows you're his father, but Miss Montez kept him from you. I never got to know why."

I nodded in understanding, but frowned at the end. "Can I see him?"

She nodded and opened the door.

"This is the boys dormitory sode, and on this floor is ages 15- 17, 5 or 6 in each dorm," she said and I entered.

Pretty big room with 6 beds, 2 filled since the boys took naps, the rest empty.

"That's Cayden, right there," she said, motioning towards the window.

There on the window ledge sat a kid, about 16 or 17, shaggy brown hair, olive toned skin, wearing a baggy black hoodie with the hood up, black skinnies, and black converse, holding something in his hand as he looked out the window.

I gulped and walked over to him. He looked a lot like me as a teen.

"Ummm... Hi," I said.

He turned and looked up at me with brown eyes that looked a lot like... mine....

He took some of Josefina's looks, but the rest was definitely all me.

Those same brown eyes widen as they saw me.

"You....." he mumbled in shock.

"Ummm, yeah," I said nervously. "You must be Cayden, right?"

He hesitated before he nodded his head.

"Mind if I sit with you?" I asked.

He simply shrugged and I sat nearby.

He kept staring out the window, and I felt awkward.

What am I supposed to tell the kid that's my son who I was never with, knew not even of his existence, who's mother just died of depression and eating disorders and is in a foster home with crazy kids on the edge of depression like she was?

"Ummm, so... How've you've been so far?" I tried.

He looked at me with a blank but cold look. "I had to bury my mother after she died of anorexia and depression, got seperated from my childhood friend, and sent to this shit hole so I can later end up in the streets in 2 years," he said. "How do you think I've been?"

I gulped as he looked back out the window into the rainy sky.

Okay, not a good way to start a conversation.

"Umm... Okay, uhh... Look, I, uhh... I'm sorry about your mom. From what I remember, she was a beautiful kind hearted girl, and I know you're hurting really badly," I said. "But... I'm here. I know I wasn't and I wish I knew about you so I can be there, but I'm here now, and I want to be there for you."

He sighed and looked down. "Look, I know everything. She only didn't tell you so she wouldn't keep you from succeeding at your dreams. I understand that, but... You're a celebrity," he said. "How will I know you're not bull shitting anything?"

I looked at him in the eye. "I'm not that kind of person. I'm someone who takes responsibility for my actions. Right now, you're my responsibilty, even though I have to make sure this isn't some scam," I said.

"You think this could be a scam?" he asked.

"Not exactly, it's just... This isn't the first time I'm told I'm a father and then find out it was just a scam. But I knew Josefina, and two-timing is the last thing she is," I said. "But I need to make sure."

He sighed and nodded.

"So, are you willing to give me a chance at being a dad for you?" I asked.

He looked down, thinking for a while, and sighed. "Fine."

I smiled and got up. "Come on."

He hesitated before getting up and he started to pack some stuff before heading outside.

Hopefully this will be good for both of us.