Chapter 14

There was no point in denying that Daphne and I's shop for dresses was one of the most cheesiest experiences I'd ever gone through.

We giggled, we picked out cute boys from the crowd and we even window-shopped and pulled fake dramatic fakes like they do in the muggle movies.

I couldn't begin to mention how exhausted I was by the time we were only halfway done.

I had tried on a few dresses and on approximately my fifth dress I found the perfect one. As Daphne was trying hers on, I politely asked one of the assistants to find a matching tie, which they happily obliged to. A sale's a sale, I guess.

Then, Daphne came out of the changing room and spun, a perfect twirl in the dress that showed off her body in all the right places without being over the top or promiscuous.

"Oh, Daphne, it's wonderful," I said, rushing over to hug her, "I'm so happy for you."

"It's just a dress, Eve," She giggled back as she wriggled back into the changing cubicle.

A few minutes later, the assistant came back with a perfectly matching tie to my dress, so I paid for that and then allowed Daphne to pay.

"Shoes!" Daphne exclaimed as we left the store. We found the nearest clothes store, and I was beginning to feel the impact of being left by Draco.

Not that he could've left me anyway, we were never together.

Why wasn't I planning to do this for Draco and I? Why was I going to the Yule Ball with Neville Longbottom?

I trudged around the shoes store a little more negatively than I should have, but picked a pair of black velvet heels with an ankle strap nonetheless.

"Aren't you excited-"

Daphne looked at me, pausing to give me a look of pure pity.

"Don't- don't pity me," I said, "That's exactly what I don't want. I just wish I were going with Draco, he's just... He's just what I want."

Unknown's POV

It pained me to overhear their conversation. To hear her talk about what had happened to her, the way it had hurt her. I knew that the real Draco was the one she should be going to the Yule Ball with, not Longbottom.

"You're doing the wrong thing," I turned around to see Pansy staring into my eyes, "Stop following her. You're going to make it ten times worse if she spots you - she doesn't want to see you again."

"Nor you, I presume?" I retorted.

Pansy looked confused for a moment.

"You're going to the Yule Ball with Blaise," I told her.

"So what?" Pansy snapped, and walked off.

I sighed, not interested in what she had to say anymore. It was my decision what I did with my spare time, and I wanted to help Evelyn from afar.

Even though I was one of many she probably never wanted to speak to again. Draco, Pansy, Blaise...

"Why are you here?"

I turned around to see Daphne.

"Uh-... Oh, I'm-"

"You're definitely not here for the ball," she snarled, "Don't let her see you. You'll destroy her, alright? I know there's more to it. You love Evelyn - I see through you. I think you should tell Eve the truth."

My heart raced. Telling Evelyn the truth? I had never considered that.

I stared at Daphne blankly for a few minutes before I heard a broken voice,

"Draco?"